• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to obtain custom dice for christmas present - arg!

Impeesa

Explorer
So I've always liked the idea of gemstone dice. I decided that I'd try and get my girlfriend a nice set of amethyst dice for Christmas - bit of a long story as to why they'd be particularly appropriate (and kind of funny), but I know she'd love them. However, I wanted something a little bigger/darker (higher grade) than the Dwarven Stones ones, so I go around to local jewellers. And the fun starts.

First few I talk to don't do any stonecutting on-site. Finally, one gives me the name of someone who does stonecutting out of his home. Number's unlisted, though, so I'll have to track him down at work (security at the hospital). Shya. Google coughs up his email address easily enough. After looking at a picture, he proclaims that he'd have to use a faceting machine, making it highly labor-intensive and prohibitively expensive. His best suggestion is cheap overseas labour, and I think he was being totally serious. Without trying to be rude, I enquire as to why he would say this, and also why using a machine would be more labor-intensive than doing it all by hand. His reply is to explain what a faceting machine is and why he'd have to use it to get the unusual angles on a set of gaming dice. Thanks, I figured that out from the name and asked some questions there somewhere. Eventually, I give up on him.

So then I email Crystal Caste about getting a custom set done. The guy there is much more helpful and friendly, but his response basically comes down to "getting bigger pieces and/or higher quality (darker) amethyst would be expensive, and we wanted to keep it affordable for the average gamer." Wow, that's about as helpful as the last guy there... don't tell me it's too expensive, give me a ballpark figure and I'll make that decision. I don't represent the average gamer at the moment, I'm looking for a special present for a special person - if a regular set represented the limit of my budget, I certainly wouldn't be enquiring about a custom job, now would I?

Anyways, I still haven't figured out a way to say something like that directly to them without coming across as really rude (and if he's reading this - sorry! :)), so I'll likely just be ordering a regular set and praying that after all this they'll still be here in time for Christmas. But still. Arg.

So, with Christmas season rapidly approaching, has anyone else been going through something like this? Or am I just lucky? :rolleyes:

alsih2o

First Post
speaking for the artisans of the world- we love it when someone says "let me decide of it is too expensive" :)

bug them directly, demostrate that you are willing to pay. there is no need to dance around that, noone is ever upset by the idea of mo' money :)

ASH

First Post
Hey if you ever find anyone to do... and feel comfortable enough... let us know what kind of price's they asked. If I had a wish list a custom set of dice like that would be on it.

Impeesa

Explorer
alsih2o said:
speaking for the artisans of the world- we love it when someone says "let me decide of it is too expensive" :)

bug them directly, demostrate that you are willing to pay. there is no need to dance around that, noone is ever upset by the idea of mo' money :)

Yeah, that occurred to me... the way they said it though, also seemed to imply that they may not even be able to get what I wanted at all. Plus I was getting tired of going back and forth at that point, and it (ideally) still has to be here by Christmas. ;)

Edit: Ranting is therapeutic, sent off another message without feeling the need to sarcastically question their deductive abilities. :) On the down side, my suspicions were correct - got a reply back, a one-of-a-kind custom set would be unfeasible for anything less than a ridiculous amount. It's the economies of scale that I was forgetting to account for - I really should know better, too. :eek:

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
Keep us updated... I'd like to know how this goes. I'm looking for an unique christmas gift for my fiancee (last year she got the silver set of gemstones :)), and I'd be interested to hear how this goes.

Remove ads