• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR TSR3 Blames Widespread Pushback On WotC

In an unexpected turn of events, the primary individuals behind TSR3 have claimed the pushback they've received on social media and elsewhere was orchestrated by .... D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast (a company which has thus far remained completely silent on recent events). TSR3 is run by Justin LaNasa, Stephen Dinehart, and Ernie Gygax. The controversy has been raging for over a week...

In an unexpected turn of events, the primary individuals behind TSR3 have claimed the pushback they've received on social media and elsewhere was orchestrated by .... D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast (a company which has thus far remained completely silent on recent events).

TSR3 is run by Justin LaNasa, Stephen Dinehart, and Ernie Gygax. The controversy has been raging for over a week, since TSR3 announced itself with a press release.

dineharttweet.png

erniet.jpeg

uROPf5GL_400x400.jpg

Stephen Dinehart and Ernie Gygax have since deactivated their Twitter accounts; Justin LaNasa doesn't appear to have one, but it is believed he is the person operating TSR3's Twitter account. A couple of days ago, Ernie Gygax posted about recent events on Facebook (note that he edited the post, but the original can be seen here).

I wish to state in the strongest terms that I never meant to hurt anyone of any race, creed or color. My video From the Bunker caused some to feel that they would not be welcome or would be looked down upon. That was never the intent, I was reacting to focus of modern role play into a more background and Role Play rather than the wargame that so made so many lives happy over 40 years ago.

As a gamer it meant that most of us were not worthy of any attention from others of our own age. We were Nerds. We were brainy-acks and others would snicker. Older classmen would ask to "borrow" something of ours to then pass back and forth a game of keep away. I used to receive some special attention from about 4 Juniors in my Freshman year. I played the Violin and often I began to wish that I had Super Powers, perhaps become a Giant.. I was far to shy and then embarrassed as attractive ladies would just lower the eyes while the jocks or other socially vibrant fellows had some fun at another geeky nerds expense. Thank goodness I grew 4 inches my junior year.

The only real comfort zone we all could share was a table in the lunch room. At least the fledgling TSR found fertile minds in those who had only those like us - gamers. Rather than have to risk embarrassing myself, since Phy Ed was going to force us to dance with those wonderful and yet scary girls. Well to get my Diploma I had to slave for a month to Mr. Gerber the head of the Phy Ed department. Fortunately I knew all about janitorial work as before D&D and TSR dad only made $5,000 as a Cobbler (five children) and we had food stamps and even free school lunches. Yes you had to go to the councilors office every week to collect your free lunch passes. Obviously you could feel all the eyes on you and the talk about....

Everyone has been welcome at my gaming table and multitudes of new friends have been created by the time spent playing the games we Love. Look at pictures of gaming on my site or anywhere I run games. Everyone is welcome, just like a Boot Hill game leave your guns at the bar until you leave town. If you come to the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum Jeff R. Leason will show you courtesy and a smile and you will see that gaming with elder gamers is a safe and entertaining environment.

Essafah

Explorer
We're working on the phrasing, but everybody please assume that attempts to suppress stances against bigotry or inclusion of diverse voices by falsely referring to them as 'politics' is not welcome here. We'll be amending the rules to make that explicitly clear soon, as 'keep politics out of gaming' is basically a dogwhistle at this point.

Well, Morrus due in no small part to my race/ethnicity I am most definitely all for suppressing bigotry and hatred (of all sorts). I also play DnD (and other games) specifically to escape real world issues. So, please tell me how to word it so that statement that meets whatever the standard is and I assure you I am not dogwhistling to any group(s) on the Right LOL

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Welp, I am officially on vacation, and while I probably could keep on eye on this flaming garbage during that time, frankly I don't really want to. This nonbinary transfemme is taking some "me" time.

Keep on fighting the good fight. Don't give the bigots and their excusers and enablers an inch. They're desperate because they're losing and they know it. Don't let them dissemble or dismiss their words and actions. Make it known they are not welcome in our hobby until they can learn to play nice. Y'all are good people.

Until next time...
Pizza GIF by NETFLIX

Mr. Kuntz first of all. I am a fan of your work. Thank you for taking time to communicate with people on this forum (myself included).

To your point. Yes. I am trying to understand both sides. To be clear, I have absolutely no love for bigots and those who deride other folks due to their creed, religion, sexual orientation, race and all that. I also do not like though people forcing their views on others and interjecting real world politics into a game that I play for fantasy escapism. I also don't like the dogpiling that is going on towards Ernie because he SEEMS like a good person though I have never met the man. The contempt displayed for LaNasa is a different matter. Ernie whom you know far better than me seems like a genuinely good man albeit a bit unlearned of real world issues. He put his foot in his mouth. I would hope that he comes around to fully admitting it but I don't like people calling him an incel acting like D&D was always cool and the hip thing like Critical Role is now. I am sure you know that his story of the growing up and D&D being for the outcast is far more accurate a depiction of what DnD was like (in all honesty up until the aughts and not even the early aughts). I am not saying everyone experience bullies but D&D was more like the Breakfast Club in that it was comprised of very differing people brought together by a love of dice over the table.

I am not one to tolerate someone showing me disrespect or being racist to me. I will confront that without pause but in all honesty I will reiterate I never experienced that at the gaming tables and while living in and being from the South I have lived from the SE U.S. to the West Coast and back again. In that time I may have been the only person of color at the gaming table or maybe one other person besides myself but I was always welcome. Now, that I look back as a child I can recall one person whose house we gamed at in the basement (something that people make fun of now ...gaming in the basement but that was a norm back then) and this person's parents now doing things that I think today were suspect BUT my actual friend that I game with and the people at the actual table I never had an issue with. Ever and no Black person that gamed that I know personally ever did either.

I am very sorry to hear that you and Ernie seemed to have parted ways (on his part). I had someone that I considered a friend that got sucked into conspiracy cult beliefs and we parted ways also. I know that can be painful. I hope Ernie finds his way. I also hope he reaches back out to you and you and he can settle things. Other than that thank you sir for helping to provide me with years of fun and being able to escape to a place where for a few hours of the day (and even longer during the bygone marathon game weekends of my youth) I didn't have to think about race, or politics, or escalating world tensions but could simply lose myself in a fun game of fantasy adventure.
Well thanks for the kindness. We had no bigotry in LG games either, and I had 3 gays in my own game group (one declared and two who came out). We are still friends to this day even though we are scattered to the four winds (CA, TX and WI) and I live in France.

As stated, Gary's cousin Hugh Edward Burdick was gay and loved by the family; it was his land in the township that we walked miles to (Mary Gygax sometimes peddled my bike) to plant and tend a large garden there specifically to supplement the family's food. I did a send up to Hugh in my Dark Chateau adventure (he's got some artifacts in Zagyg's attic).

It is what it is; and yes, the reactions to this are various but not unwarranted. Ernie's name being used for TSR means that his name has weight, for good or ill; and if that is attached to ill, there could be a swaying towards the bad. In all it's all bad, but when people of note add their voice, worse things can happen. So what is the justifiable reaction? Some of us know partly, some as yourself know moreso, but who all can walk a mile in Trans' shoes to know their real fear and trepidation? Even my trans friend, Kyrinn Eis, a fine game designer and person, isn't be able to impart (describe, yes) that and thus she never has. Bottom line Ernie added his voice of note to that fear; and for that I am ashamed, but I am not ashamed of the teachings he received that should have prevented this from happening. But teachings are only bountiful if continuously applied.

Keep on gaming! I hope some day we meet and roll some dice together.

Sir Brennen

Legend
3. If someone generally makes a mistake or has a wrong point of view and then sees that what they did was wrong but knows for a fact that if they go to the person they wronged to apologize they would just be more derided and belittled then I would see no reason to apologize. Not saying they should keep their views but if let's say if I had the wrong view of oh...dog lovers. I said something stupid and someone corrected me and I learned what I said was erroneous. While, my view might change if I KNEW I would be lamblasted and derided for apologizing HELL NO I would not.
That he would be derided and belittled by the people he should be apologizing too is an assumption on your part (and also an assumption that this is his assumption and reason for not apologizing.) In fact, based on just the small sampling I've seen of responses to his, TSR's and other involved individuals' tweets, it seems the actual lambasting is those who do not want him to apologize.

Yes, it's true that this behavior is used by some parties, particularly some you mention upthread. This is a bad-faith tactic: demanding apology for some perceived offense (often being only performatively offended), then using any apology to further bash the one apologizing. Or, using a lack of apology as evidence of guilt (again, usually of some manufactured grievance.) It's a lose-lose for the accused; an intentional trap.

Most important, it's usually a tactic used by those with more power than the accused. It's often a "both-side-ism" ploy as well, trying to create false equivalencies between the powerful and those pointing about the abuse of power/privilege.

At the same time, there are plenty of examples of online scandals that end with an apology, which is accepted and things move on. Sure, the internet rage machine churns on, seeking its next target, but there are still elements of forgiveness that rise above the noise. And those are worth recognizing and boosting when the apology is sincere.

Also, while, yes, there are examples of unnecessary characterizations of Ernie as a person within these the threads on this topic, there's still been plenty of sympathy, discussions of his being manipulated, used as a shield, etc. And discussion amongst ourselves that a sincere apology, recognition of the harm he's caused and steps to improve/rectify would be a good thing*. Also plenty of criticism of his and his company's words (the interview was just the start), leaving character attacks out of it. Listen to those voices.

*Forgiveness is a complicated thing. It doesn't equal absolution. The injured party can still feel hurt. But IMHO, not trying to earn it is worse than trying and being rejected.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, Morrus due in no small part to my race/ethnicity I am most definitely all for suppressing bigotry and hatred (of all sorts). I also play DnD (and other games) specifically to escape real world issues. So, please tell me how to word it so that statement that meets whatever the standard is and I assure you I am not dogwhistling to any group(s) on the Right LOL
If you have questions about moderation, take them to Meta. Please do not start a discussion about moderation in the middle of a thread.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
With this talk about bullying and being buttholes and whatever, it got me thinking about how I consider myself to be extremely lucky that I grew up with both nerds in advanced classes and athletes on the various teams and I made friends with the ones who also don't tolerate bullying.

The best thing in my life was being taught how to deal with bullying when you see it and when you experience it: Call out the bully and help those that were hurt and reassure them.

That's what we need to do with Ernie as well and we've been doing much good with that. It sounds like Ernie is perpetuating a disgusting cycle and I only regard the callout from his "mistake" (read: bullying) as something that needs to happen to show we, as a community, do not tolerate that type of behavior even from what some would consider "big names."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If someone says they don't discriminate against people why do they have to list every possible demographic.
In the case before us, it is because in their (TSR3 and associated accounts) statements, they singled out certain groups for particular attention of their bigotry. And at least one (if not more- I’ve lost track) of those groups singled out were conspicuously omitted from the quarter-assed apologies.

Think of it as an exercise in the proper etiquette for making an apology. ANY person or group you enumerate in your offensive statements or actions should similarly be explicitly included in your Mea Culpas. Ideally, they should be FIRST in the apology.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If someone says they don't discriminate against people why do they have to list every possible demographic. If I say, I don't discriminate against people due to race, gender, religion, etc. and someone says, "Well you didn't say you you don't discriminate against married people or against people with X disease" I would honestly think that person is either a) stupid or b) looking for confrontation for whatever reason.
You’re ignoring the context of the statement. In a vacuum, no, there’s nothing wrong with saying “I don’t discriminate against X Y or Z” and not mentioning every other letter in the alphabet. But when you make a statement that comes off as discriminatory against N, and in your “apology” you say “I don’t discriminate against X Y or Z” and don’t say anything about N at all, it’s perfectly reasonable for people to ask “but what about N?” And if when they do, your business partner answers, “you are disgusting,” and you refuse to make any further clarification or disavow your business partner’s statement, I think it’s pretty reasonable to infer that you have a problem with N.

Considering that this entire discussion is about real-world issues/politics and gaming, consider your goal here. Is it to tell people to just stop talking about it? There's truly no need to contribute to a discussion, much less a forum thread, that you think shouldn't exist. It's easy--just don't get involved.

You’re ignoring the context of the statement. In a vacuum, no, there’s nothing wrong with saying “I don’t discriminate against X Y or Z” and not mentioning every other letter in the alphabet. But when you make a statement that comes off as discriminatory against N, and in your “apology” you say “I don’t discriminate against X Y or Z” and don’t say anything about N at all, it’s perfectly reasonable for people to ask “but what about N?” And if when they do, your business partner answers, “you are disgusting,” and you refuse to make any further clarification or disavow your business partner’s statement, I think it’s pretty reasonable to infer that you have a problem with N.
I'm getting weary (tired) so all I can add is the Homer Simpson, "Doh!" Logic 101...

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads