Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Remove post counts

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • I don't care

Votes: 7 19.4%

Psionicist

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I like post counts. I hate spam. My opinion is starting to lean more towards avoiding spam, unfortunately. I'd strongly prefer people stop competing and act maturely, so we don't have to do something draconic like turn off the counts.

That would be the optimal solution :)

graydoom

First Post
I would like to note that both Wicht and I have gotten most of our posts from FIght Club. Darkness has posted a small amount in Fight Club and I believe most of the rest of his from here in Meta.

And I really don't see the problem with threads like that... they quickly get put in Meta where everyone can ignore them or post in them as one wishes.

MythandLore

First Post
Horacio said:

Hey, MythandLore, you're acting like a Psionicist echo?
He posted that link in the second message of this thread...
Or maybe you were only adding one to your post count?
;)
Looks like I am his echo, I wasn't trying to get my post count up, I just didn't realize he posted it already, it was 3:30 in the morning when I posted it.
I was lucky I wasn't slerring my words like a drunk.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Psionicist said:
Edit: I just found this:

Wicht 01-18-2002 754
graydoom 01-18-2002 640
Darkness 01-09-2002 607

Ehh... What the HECK?!?!? HOW in the name of JESUS can someone post that much in less than 2 weeks? In case Morrus turns of post counts I will keep an eye on you three to see if things changes *evil grin* :p
I've been here for a bit longer than "less than two weeks," as anyone capable of basic math can tell you. :D Or anyone who was on the boards at some point during the testing phase, you know. :p
And no, turning off post count wouldn't change my posting style at all; I'm far too fascinated with the boards right now, thank you very much. :)
Anyway, if you think that someone's spamming the boards, you can put them on your "Ignore List." :cool:

Other than that, I echo what Graydoom said: Neither him, nor me, nor Wicht are spamming the boards. (BTW, I have also posted a lot in GD and Rules...) Other than you, Psionicist: Many of your posts are quite useless, you know (e.g., "what do you wear while gaming?")...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I personally don't like post counts at all. The only reason they are there is because so many people seemed to want them.

If 'spamming' really does become a problem, then yes, they will get turned off. At the moment it doesn't seem too bad - remember the FIght Club guys do generate a lot of posts.

Henry@home

First Post
I say, screw 'em and ditch 'em. But that's just me.

I DO like the "Registered since..." information, because as the boards age a little bit, it allows you identify relatively new posters (most of the time), and gives you a little more leeway and patience to responding to their posts. After all, it takes a person a while of lurking to get used to the feel of a community, and many people wind up jumping in feet first.

Psionicist

Explorer
Darkness said:
I've been here for a bit longer than "less than two weeks," as anyone capable of basic math can tell you. :D Or anyone who was on the boards at some point during the testing phase, you know. :p
And no, turning off post count wouldn't change my posting style at all; I'm far too fascinated with the boards right now, thank you very much. :)
Anyway, if you think that someone's spamming the boards, you can put them on your "Ignore List." :cool:

Other than that, I echo what Graydoom said: Neither him, nor me, nor Wicht are spamming the boards. (BTW, I have also posted a lot in GD and Rules...) Other than you, Psionicist: Many of your posts are quite useless, you know (e.g., "what do you wear while gaming?")...

Oh thank you very much Darkness. I have NOT said that you, doom or wicht spammed the boards. I have said that you three have an incredible lots of post. What I've also said is that most people in Holy Bovines "I Beat Morrus" thread spammed like hell.
You know what! I see no difference whatsoever in spamming, and spamming for fun.

And just because it says Moderator under your name does not give you the rights to pick on me for something that happened when you was a regular member with a very long name. That is none of your business.

Beat it.

Last edited:

Decamber

First Post
I agree, remove the post count. 1,000 posts does not give respect - but what you post, does. The counter is only a cause of spamming, and we all know that that has been clearly proved on these boards...

My vote goes to getting rid of it.

Psionicist

Explorer
Decamber said:
I agree, remove the post count. 1,000 posts does not give respect - but what you post, does. The counter is only a cause of spamming, and we all know that that has been clearly proved on these boards...

My vote goes to getting rid of it.

Good point. The more posts you have the higher chance that I and the world will belive that person is a spammer.

And a question: Who voted "Keep"? It would be... interesting... to know.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Psionicist said:
... Darkness. I have NOT said that you, ... spammed the boards. I have said that you ... have an incredible lots of post.
Really? What about the following quote, then:

In case Morrus turns of post counts I will keep an eye on you three to see if things changes *evil grin*
Please explain what you meant with that, honestly. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but it's not my fault that you haven't expressed yourself very clearly.

And just because it says Moderator under your name does not give you the rights ...
Heh. Actually, as a Moderator, I have less leeway in how to respond to attacks. "With power comes responsibility," you know. :)

Anyway... Regarding the topic at hand, I have to say that I don't care all that much about post count. :shrug: Others* do, and so I say keep it, but myself, I wouldn't mind it in the least if it was turned off. :)

(*: And not just spammers - of which I haven't noticed many TBH...)

Remove ads