• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning off xp

Nagol

Unimportant
Turning off xp doesn't interfere with the mechanical system; it just hides the poster's current total.

That said, there are probably a lot of different reasons to turn it off.

In my case, I am averse to cliques and those social mechanisms that promote/enable them. The old board's version of xp had a stronger potential as the comments appeared with the original post so pile-ons formed, snarky zingers tended to attract as many or more xp than thoughtful posts, and who regularly gave to whom was obvious to those who paid attention.

I am more comfortable with the system on the new board, though I appear to be in the minority -- more posters appear to like having the xp and comments visible with the post that provoked them.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Nagol, something that I've wondered, can you personally see the comments if someone gives you xp? I mean, on your settings page? Or does turning xp off turn that off as well? Personally I like reading peoples comments, especially the ones that disagree with me (those are more interesting).

Nagol

Unimportant
Nagol, something that I've wondered, can you personally see the comments if someone gives you xp? I mean, on your settings page? Or does turning xp off turn that off as well? Personally I like reading peoples comments, especially the ones that disagree with me (those are more interesting).

AFAICT, all the mechanics continue to work other than the per-post display.

I got xp today. I still get the notification, can still see the comments (and I expect anyone else can see them too), and still grant xp should I wish.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
..can still see the comments (and I expect anyone else can see them too)..
Huh? You can? I can't. Xp comments have been off since the crash. I can only see the ones I get (the ones shown on the settings page). I don't see any comments on any of the posts themselves.

Nagol

Unimportant
Huh? You can? I can't. Xp comments have been off since the crash. I can only see the ones I get (the ones shown on the settings page). I don't see any comments on any of the posts themselves.

LOL, I mean you can look at xp comments granted to me.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Ah. :D

Edit:
LOL, I mean you can look at xp comments granted to me.
Nope, I don't think I can. The comments are only visible on the settings page, and you can only access your own settings. If I go there I see mine. Your profile page doesn't list an xp tab when I look at it (I think there used to be one there, but ever since the comments have been off on the posts the tab has been off as well).

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
Ah. :D

Edit:

Nope, I don't think I can. The comments are only visible on the settings page, and you can only access your own settings. If I go there I see mine. Your profile page doesn't list an xp tab when I look at it (I think there used to be one there, but ever since the comments have been off on the posts the tab has been off as well).

Here are you last few xp awards:

Thread

Date

Thread: Best Post Ever!
No Comment Made

Friday, 20th September, 2013 03:18 AM
Dwimmerlied

Thread: Faster metabolism makes perception of time move slower
Nice.

Tuesday, 17th September, 2013 05:16 PM
Cadence

Thread: Best Post Ever!
No Comment Made

Tuesday, 17th September, 2013 03:45 AM
goldomark

Thread: Of the WotC Forums and the OTT
No Comment Made

====

To see someone else's, click their name-link on the left, and choose View Activity. On the new page, choose the Experience Points tab.

#edit# -- You're right! If I follow my instructions, my activity page doesn't have an Experience Points tab that those who have enabled the systems seem to have.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Profiles have an XP tab for other users if they have turned XP on. They don't if they haven't. People can see their own XP tab, even if it's turned off for others.

Nobody can see XP comments in posts since the hack. Blame Singapore, mainly.

Plus moved to Meta.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
The old board's version of xp had a stronger potential as the comments appeared with the original post so pile-ons formed, snarky zingers tended to attract as many or more xp than thoughtful posts, and who regularly gave to whom was obvious to those who paid attention.

I am more comfortable with the system on the new board, though I appear to be in the minority -- more posters appear to like having the xp and comments visible with the post that provoked them.

Oh, I totally wondered about that. I had completely forgotten about the XP comments until the other day when I received XP and was surprised that I didn't see it in the post.

I do like the XP on the actual post. Sometimes the XP parts were even more funny than the actual post. I feel like without seeing them, half the point of having XP is gone...

Remove ads