• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning PDFs into Softcover Books

elijah snow

First Post
What is the cheapest, easiest way to turn pdfs into softcover books for home delivery?

I wish everyone had a lulu option (I'm looking at you Ari Marmell's Planar Factions).

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Take it to staples, have them print it out and bind it. I use to do this all the time with 160 page White Wolf books (back when I played Exalted) and it usually cost me less then $10. Had it same day, next day at the latest.

dmccoy1693 said:
Take it to staples, have them print it out and bind it.

Officemax, Office Depot, and Fedex/Kinkos all have the ability to do this as well. It's cheaper if you print it on your own paper, and have them bind it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Stay away from nationwide chains. Locally owned chains of copy/print shops (or single store fronts) typically have much better prices than places like Kinko's or FedEx, with comparable (or, sometimes, better) service. I use a place called Copy Experts in Colorado Springs (the downtown store, if anybody cares).

Earlier today, I had a 165 page copy of In Search of Adventure (the legal WotC distributed PDF) printed with a glossy, full color, cover image and spiral bound with a clear mylar front cover (it has a black vinyl back cover) for roughly $17 -- this same kind of print job (last I checked a couple of years back) would have cost about $25 to $33 at Kinko's.

Boss

First Post
In previous threads it has been stated that some chains, such as Kinko's, refuse to print out pdf's for fear of copyright restrictions, even if you have proof of purchase.

I recently went and purchased a binding machine (got it on sale for $100... about half price). I figure that with all the pdf's I purchase(d) through RPGNow it will more than make up for the cost of the binder and materials, which are relatively cheap.

As for printing, well, I cheat there. My company has some fantastic laser printers that are fast and print dual-sided.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Boss said:
In previous threads it has been stated that some chains, such as Kinko's, refuse to print out pdf's for fear of copyright restrictions, even if you have proof of purchase.
Yes, this can happen (it did to me, f'rex.) :\ I chose to get things bound (for a while; see below) at a local print shop (a Xerox shop, as it so happens) as they are cheaper, more professional, and much nicer to deal with.

I recently went and purchased a binding machine (got it on sale for $100... about half price). I figure that with all the pdf's I purchase(d) through RPGNow it will more than make up for the cost of the binder and materials, which are relatively cheap.
This is what I did too. A thermal binder can easily be found for a good price, and is not too expensive to run, either. Combined with an economic laser printer, it's basically a print shop at home, for cheap. A good investment, IME.

Asmor

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Earlier today, I had a 165 page copy of In Search of Adventure (the legal WotC distributed PDF) printed with a glossy, full color, cover image and spiral bound with a clear mylar front cover (it has a black vinyl back cover) for roughly $17 -- this same kind of print job (last I checked a couple of years back) would have cost about $25 to $33 at Kinko's.

That's how I usually do my printing at Staples... Full color glossy cover, clear plastic page over that, vinyl back page, coil binding and it usually ends up being around $12-15. The biggest I've done was the Savage Worlds setting Necropolis, almost 250 pages, and it was like $19 I think.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Asmor said:
That's how I usually do my printing at Staples... Full color glossy cover, clear plastic page over that, vinyl back page, coil binding and it usually ends up being around $12-15. The biggest I've done was the Savage Worlds setting Necropolis, almost 250 pages, and it was like $19 I think.

Crazy. They (Staples) charged me something like $9 for a similarly bound copy of Kill Puppies for Satan a few years back. Kill Puppies for Satan is somethign like 40 pages long. And, of course, I've run into some 'copyright' issues at Staples (namely, they wouldn't print legally purchased PDFs).

Ultimately, even if Staples has lowered their prices, the benefit of never having to jump through one-hundred hoops to get something printed is reason enough for me to avoid them. I can simply send a screen capture of my RPGNow receipt along with a PDF to Copy Experts, and they do the work with no questions asked.

Remove ads