• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning the aristocrat into a true PC base class

Dastari

First Post
I've always felt that D&D has left out one of the classic fantasy archetypes in not having a PC aristocrat class. I'm not sure what I'm going to call my class yet to differentiate it from the NPC class but I feel like such a thing ought to be created.

Originally I had the idea of the aristocrat being a field commander to lend aid to comrades but then I read about the Marshal class in the Miniatures Handbook and that was to close. Then I had the idea of their gaining some abilities from other classes without ever specializing. Then I read about the Factotum class and that seemed to close.

So I'm back to square one but I want to complete this class before 4th edition comes out. The one unique thing that I've always had in mind for this class that no other class has is that they would gain leadership as a bonus feat at 6th level and that they would get leadership bonuses as their class progresses. Otherwise, the aristocrat class from pg 108 of the DMG would be the base. They'd have a D8 hit die, 4+int modifier skill points, the same class skills shown there, the medium base attack bonus, the good will save, proficiency with all simple & martial weapons, armor, and shields. As a first level benefit they also get more starting gold than any other class.

I think that this balances them pretty well against other classes at first level. They have moderate amount of hit points and have been exposed to weapons and armor but they have never been able to train at combat like a fighter so they have the medium attack bonus. They also have access to a wide variety of skills but don't get many skill points, reflecting the fact that they don't have a lot of time to pursue study for its own sake. Aristocrats also tend to have forceful personalities so a good will save makes a lot of sense there. I'm also thinking about giving them a +2 bonus at first level to diplomacy and bluff. I'm not sure if I should move that to second level though since the increased starting gold is pretty darn sweet.

So does anyone have any ideas what else to do with this class to give them benefits that increase over time? I still think that aristocrats ought to be able to create benefits in combat even if only as morale boosts. Comments are appreciated.

Dastari

First Post
Nifft said:
Here's mine: http://demonhaunted.pbwiki.com/NewClasses#TheAristocrat

I never really fleshed out what "Wealth" or "social circles relating to wealth" meant, but it's OGC, so feel free to use it as you wish. :)

Cheers, -- N

Thanks. I'll probably use some of your ideas. I also see that you've done The Expert which is the other one that I wanted to promote to PC level. I see that you've also given them 8 + Int modifier skill points. I always thought it was weird that they were given 6 + Int modifier when they're supposed to be the most skilled class.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dastari said:
Thanks. I'll probably use some of your ideas. I also see that you've done The Expert which is the other one that I wanted to promote to PC level. I see that you've also given them 8 + Int modifier skill points. I always thought it was weird that they were given 6 + Int modifier when they're supposed to be the most skilled class.
Yeah, the guy who can Sneak Attack and Evade shouldn't outclass the Expert in skills, too. :)

One thing to note: those classes are old, and not very well tested. They're OGC by request, not because I felt they were done. (And I'm not going to test them -- my players don't care to use them, and thus other things are more important.)

Cheers, -- N

Dastari

First Post
Nifft said:
Yeah, the guy who can Sneak Attack and Evade shouldn't outclass the Expert in skills, too. :)

One thing to note: those classes are old, and not very well tested. They're OGC by request, not because I felt they were done. (And I'm not going to test them -- my players don't care to use them, and thus other things are more important.)

Cheers, -- N

Here's what I've got so far. It's hardly what I'd call "finished". Most of these abilities are ones that I'd want to keep in one form or another but their position on the levels can be shuffled around. Additionally I want to add more bonus feats somewhere. I'm hoping that this gives everyone some clue of what I'm trying to create and will help everyone give me ideas on where to put everything. Comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Code:
Level	BAB	   Fort	   Ref	   Will	   Special
1	+0	   +0	   +0	   +2	   Social Butterfly
2	+1	   +0	   +0	   +3	   Fighter Bonus Feat
3	+2	   +1	   +1	   +3	   Noble’s Grace, Rallying Call 1/day
4	+3	   +1	   +1	   +4	   Coordinate +1
5	+3	   +1	   +1	   +4	
6	+4	   +2	   +2	   +5	   Leadership
7	+5	   +2	   +2	   +5	
8	+6/+1	   +2	   +2	   +6	   Leader +1, Coordinate +2, Way of Command
9	+6/+1	   +3	   +3	   +6	
10	+7/+2	   +3	   +3	   +7	   Rallying Call 2/day
11	+8/+3	   +3	   +3	   +7	
12	+9/+4	   +4	   +4	   +8	   Leader +2, Elite Reputation
13	+9/+4	   +4	   +4	   +8	   Coordinate +3
14	+10/+5	   +4	   +4	   +9	
15	+11/+6/+1  +5	   +5	   +9	   Legendary Speech
16	+12/+7/+2  +5	   +5	   +10	   Leader +3
17	+12/+7/+2  +5	   +5	   +10	   Rallying Call 3/day
18	+13/+8/+3  +6	   +6	   +11	   Coordinate +4
19	+14/+9/+4  +6	   +6	   +11	
20	+15/+10/+5 +6	   +6	   +12	   Leader +4, Coordinate +5

Abilities: Charisma is important for an aristocrat since they have many charisma based class skills and charisma effects their leadership score and their legendary speech ability. Constitution is important for increasing the amount of damage that they can take and allowing them to stay around their allies longer and providing their unique aid for a greater amount of time. Intelligence is important for increasing the amount of skill points that a an aristocrat has. Wisdom is important for negotiations increasing an aristocrats sense motive skill as well as for many of the aristocrats class skills. Dexterity isn’t very important for aristocrats who have access to heavy armor. However, some aristocrats prefer a high dexterity if they have mastered a ranged weapon.

Hit Die: d8
Starting Gold: 6d8 x 10
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Survival (Wis).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The aristocrat is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields.
Social Butterfly: From infancy, aristocrats are taught how to deal with people at social functions. As a result they become expert at dealing with people and getting what they want. At 1st level, aristocrats gain a +2 bonus to bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive. In a social setting, they also gain a +2 bonus to gather information.
Fighter Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, an aristocrat may gain a bonus feat from the list of feats normally offered to fighters. This represents the training that all aristocrats gain in personal combat.
Noble’s Grace: Through time and training, aristocats have gained extra abilities with certain skills. The aristocat picks a number of skills equal to his intelligence modifier. He gains ½ his aristocat level(rounded down) to skill checks with those skills.
Rallying Call: At 3rd level an aristocrat may shout encouragement to any faltering allies within earshot as a standard action. All allies hearing the call may make an immediate Will save (DC 15 – the aristocrat’s charisma modifier) to recover from any shaken condition they may be suffering. Panicked allies will become frightened and frightened allies will become shaken. This ability may be used once per day. This increases to twice per day at 10th level and three times per day at 17th level.
Coordinate: An aristocrat has a knack for getting people to work together. When the aristocrat can aid others and give directions, he provides a bonus to the task at hand by making an aid another check. This bonus is in addition to the normal aid another bonus of +2, and it increases as the aristocrat gains levels. So, the aristocrat provides a total +3 bonus at 4th level (+2 aid another bonus, +1 cooperation bonus), a +4 bonus at 8th level, etc. This ability cannot be used to assist in combat.
Leadership: Aristocrats gain leadership as a bonus feat at 6th level.
Leader: Aristocrats are extremely comfortable with commanding others. At 8th level and every 4 levels thereafter, aristocrats gain an additional +1 bonus to their leadership score.
Way of Command: Upon reaching 8th level, the aristocrat exudes an aura of confidence whilst under attack that steadies those around him and makes them more receptive to his orders. All allies within 100 ft gain a +2 morale bonus to any skill checks.
Elite Reputation: As the aristocrat gains experience and capability, his reputation and skill increases. A veteran of countless tactical encounters, he is now considered an elite commander. Upon attaining 12hth level the aristocrat gains the ability to grant a +1 morale bonus to all attack rolls made by allies within 60 feet.
Legendary Speech: At 15th level, the aristocrat has become a true leader of men, regardless of his prior background. Before entering battle, the aristocrat may make an inspiring speech to the men he leads. This takes one minute and affects all allies who can hear his words. At the end of this time, the officer makes a charisma check (DC 15). If successful, all allies will gain a +1 morale bonus to all saving throws, attack and damage rolls for the next 1d3 hours. In addition, they will not surrender during this time unless the aristocrat orders them to do so. Legendary speech may be used once per month.

Dastari

First Post
All right, I think that I've finally worked out all the details with this class. I'm giving them a lot of options by giving them access to a LOT of lower powered feats in addition to the very high powered abilities that I've given them. I think that this offsets their medium BA and the fact that they only have the good will save. I want to see what everyone thinks, so please comment.

Code:
Level	BAB	   Fort	   Ref	   Will	   Special
1	+0	   +0	   +0	   +2	   Social Butterfly
2	+1	   +0	   +0	   +3	   Fighter Bonus Feat
3	+2	   +1	   +1	   +3	   Noble’s Grace, Rallying Call 1/day, Noble Curiosity
4	+3	   +1	   +1	   +4	   Coordinate +1
5	+3	   +1	   +1	   +4	   Noble Curiosity
6	+4	   +2	   +2	   +5	   Leadership
7	+5	   +2	   +2	   +5	   Noble Curiosity
8	+6/+1	   +2	   +2	   +6	   Leader +1, Coordinate +2, Way of Command
9	+6/+1	   +3	   +3	   +6	   Noble Curiosity
10	+7/+2	   +3	   +3	   +7	   Rallying Call 2/day
11	+8/+3	   +3	   +3	   +7	   Noble Curiosity
12	+9/+4	   +4	   +4	   +8	   Leader +2, Elite Reputation
13	+9/+4	   +4	   +4	   +8	   Coordinate +3, Noble Curiosity
14	+10/+5	   +4	   +4	   +9	   Great Leadership
15	+11/+6/+1  +5	   +5	   +9	   Legendary Speech, Noble Curiosity
16	+12/+7/+2  +5	   +5	   +10	   Leader +3
17	+12/+7/+2  +5	   +5	   +10	   Rallying Call 3/day, Noble Curiosity
18	+13/+8/+3  +6	   +6	   +11	   Coordinate +4
19	+14/+9/+4  +6	   +6	   +11	   Great Leadership, Noble Curiosity
20	+15/+10/+5 +6	   +6	   +12	   Leader +4, Coordinate +5

Abilities: Charisma is important for an aristocrat since they have many charisma based class skills and charisma effects their leadership score and their legendary speech ability. Constitution is important for increasing the amount of damage that they can take and allowing them to stay around their allies longer and providing their unique aid for a greater amount of time. Intelligence is important for increasing the amount of skill points that a an aristocrat has. Wisdom is important for negotiations increasing an aristocrats sense motive skill as well as for many of the aristocrats class skills. Dexterity isn’t very important for aristocrats who have access to heavy armor. However, some aristocrats prefer a high dexterity if they have mastered a ranged weapon.

Hit Die: d8
Starting Gold: 6d8 x 10
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Survival (Wis).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The aristocrat is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields.
Social Butterfly: From infancy, aristocrats are taught how to deal with people at social functions. As a result they become expert at dealing with people and getting what they want. At 1st level, aristocrats gain a +2 bonus to bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive. In a social setting, they also gain a +2 bonus to gather information.
Fighter Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, an aristocrat may gain a bonus feat from the list of feats normally offered to fighters. This represents the training that all aristocrats gain in personal combat.
Noble’s Grace: Through time and training, aristocats have gained extra abilities with certain skills. The aristocat picks a number of skills equal to his intelligence modifier. He gains ½ his aristocat level(rounded down) to skill checks with those skills.
Rallying Call: At 3rd level an aristocrat may shout encouragement to any faltering allies within earshot as a standard action. All allies hearing the call may make an immediate Will save (DC 15 – the aristocrat’s charisma modifier) to recover from any shaken condition they may be suffering. Panicked allies will become frightened and frightened allies will become shaken. This ability may be used once per day. This increases to twice per day at 10th level and three times per day at 17th level.
Noble Curiosity: An aristocrat has access to all kinds of training in matters related to combat, study, and personal improvement. At first level and every odd numbered level thereafter an aristocrat may select from the following feats: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Athletic, Ballista Proficiency, Battlefield Inspiration, Blind-Fight, Brutal Throw, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Communicator, Dash, Daunting Presence, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Dodge, Endurance, Eyes in the Back of your Head, Force of Personality, Goad, Great Fortitude, Guerilla Scout, Guerilla Warrior, Improved Buckler Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Unarmed Strike, Inside Connection, Insightful, Insightful Reflexes, Investigator, Iron Will, Jack of all Trades, Kiai Shout, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Monkey Grip, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Natural Leader, Necropolis Born, Negotiator, Night Haunt, Nimble Fingers, Open Minded, Persuasive, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Reckless Charge, Resourceful Buyer, Run, Second Wind, Self Sufficient, Shieldmate, Shield Wall, Skill Focus (Any), Smatterings, Soul of the North, Spell Hand, Stealthy, Toughness, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Urban Stealth, Urban Tracking, Weapon Finesse, and Zen Archery. At the DM’s discretion other feats can be added having to do with a particular race or location as long as the noble is of the race or from the location specified. The only rule for noble curiosity is that the feat must have no prerequisite that includes another feat or any ability that all aristocrats will not attain by third level (For example any requirement for a certain number of skill points in a particular skill would not be acceptable since this varies from aristocrat to aristocrat. Requirement for a BA of +1 or shield proficiency are acceptable as all aristocrats have these abilities by third level).
Coordinate: An aristocrat has a knack for getting people to work together. When the aristocrat can aid others and give directions, he provides a bonus to the task at hand by making an aid another check. This bonus is in addition to the normal aid another bonus of +2, and it increases as the aristocrat gains levels. So, the aristocrat provides a total +3 bonus at 4th level (+2 aid another bonus, +1 cooperation bonus), a +4 bonus at 8th level, etc. This ability cannot be used to assist in combat.
Leadership: Aristocrats gain leadership as a bonus feat at 6th level.
Leader: Aristocrats are extremely comfortable with commanding others. At 8th level and every 4 levels thereafter, aristocrats gain an additional +1 bonus to their leadership score.
Way of Command: Upon reaching 8th level, the aristocrat exudes an aura of confidence whilst under attack that steadies those around him and makes them more receptive to his orders. All allies within 100 ft gain a +2 morale bonus to any skill checks.
Elite Reputation: As the aristocrat gains experience and capability, his reputation and skill increases. A veteran of countless tactical encounters, he is now considered an elite commander. Upon attaining 12hth level the aristocrat gains the ability to grant a +1 morale bonus to all attack rolls made by allies within 60 feet.
Great Leadership: Aristocrats gain a great deal of experience in commanding others. By 14th level they have surpassed the level of other leaders and can pick a bonus feat from the following list: Extra Followers, Improved Cohort, Inspirational Leadership, or Practiced Cohort. An aristocrat can gain these feats even if he does not have the charisma prerequisites. At 19th level, an aristocrat is able to gain another such feat.
Legendary Speech: At 15th level, the aristocrat has become a true leader of men, regardless of his prior background. Before entering battle, the aristocrat may make an inspiring speech to the men he leads. This takes one minute and affects all allies who can hear his words. At the end of this time, the officer makes a charisma check (DC 15). If successful, all allies will gain a +1 morale bonus to all saving throws, attack and damage rolls for the next 1d3 hours. In addition, they will not surrender during this time unless the aristocrat orders them to do so. Legendary speech may be used once per month.

thelettuceman

First Post
I haven't been able to go through the thread at great detail, but I wanted to mention that in my Aristocrat-to-PC class I wrote, I included the ability to specifically call in favors and utilize contacts as inspired by Unearthed Arcana. I don't use the rules from the book in any mechanical means in my campaign settings, and I felt that the ability to know a lot of people that could help when needed was a benefit to the party and the aristocrat as a whole.

I'm definately going to be taking a look at this thread in greater detail because I've been stuck with what else to give my aristocrats (which are decidedly a bit weaker, with d6 HD, and a moderate BAB). My aristocrats are more socialite than they are warrior-bred.

TywinLannister

First Post
Hey guys, the Dragonlance campaign setting has a nifty Noble class, which I've found useful in the past. Don't have the book with me (at college), but i think its worth checking out if you can find a copy to peruse!

Remove ads