Turns out honesty isn't always the best policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I don't think rules and ethics are the same though. Ethics are about how people ought to conduct themselves, not necessarily about how they can conduct themselves. If you are just saying he didn't break any rules or laws, I think most folks are in agreement there. But pretty much everyone agrees, even business people I think who are routinely making similar calls about setting prices, that he ought not to have done this. Like I said before, I am no expert but when I took my business ethics course, the subject of ethical pricing came up and examples like this were used as almost cartoonish standards of what not to do. This is I think an example of supra competitive pricing, which is generally regarded as unethical.

I think that gets to the heart of the matter. In my example, I distinguish "practical rules" from "rules for deciding between right and wrong". Not using the pricing because it invites regulatory scrutiny is a practical rule. (Maybe, an ethical rule, considering harm to the business community.) Not using the pricing because it relies on the possibility of very real harm is using an ethical rule (and, I would say, a moral rule).

I do get confused about differentiating "immoral" from "unethical". Maybe I'm getting tripped up because I'm seeing "unethical" as being unnecessarily complicated. I'd rather just say the pricing is wrong (in a moral sense), given the totality of the circumstances. Then look to enumerating the circumstances to try to understand the situation better.

I'm curious as to any links to guidelines for this case. I did some searches for "business" and "ethics", and the results were not at all helpful, other than to show that the area seems to be in poor shape.

Thx!

TomB

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads