• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TWF vs. archery rangers

KarinsDad

Adventurer
ZombieRoboNinja said:
1. It makes sense that archers would prefer Defensive Mobility to Toughness, and probably wouldn't be sinking enough feats into two-weapon fighting to make it worthwhile (they'd be better off with a longsword wielded two-handed for the +1 damage), so I wouldn't say this is a huge problem. If I was making an archer ranger, I'd go for Defensive Mobility. (Plus, both archery paragon paths require the Archer style.)

My wife choose an Archer Ranger and took the TWF Toughness path so that she would not need to avoid OAs via shifting, instead she could just switch over to TWF when foes got past the front rank. Indoors, this works fairly well. Outdoors, she tends to go with TWF right off the bat. She also took Weapon Prof. Bastard Sword, just in order to do more damage over a Longsword.

Even shifting around, it's just too easy for opponents to continue to attack her, even though that they do not get OAs. So, her strategy is to mostly stay put and protect the party Wizard.

Course, she did not know about the Paragon Path requirement, so I'm not sure what she will do then.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
jasin said:
Why worry about it? It's just numbers, innit?
Just because I don't worry about the numbers doesn't mean others won't.

It's equally cool looking if they're just using their crappy basic attack. Or do you care about the numbers that the ranger's two-weapon abilities will get you?
The ranger's abilities are the only way to actually attack with two weapons. TWF just grants +1 dmg to main weapon attacks, nothing more. It doesn't have the same feel, regardless of numbers, that the ranger has with real two-weapon fighting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads