• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Twin Swords of Striking

ScrubbWizard

First Post
That sounds like you’re saying that since the worst case scenario is unlikely, we should only consider the best case. But I guess that’s not what you mean. Anyway, we can get a feel for the numbers.

Suppose it is 7 mooks and one bbeg. We start with a 2/3 chance to hit the mooks and 1/3 to hit the bbeg. Start with a WWA, hitting mooks first. Odds are you’ll hit at least five of them, bringing your bonus to +5. Now you have a 60% chance to hit the bbeg. Suppose you miss.

Now action surge and do it again. Now you’ll probably hit all the mooks, and you’re done missing. Finish with a hit on the bbeg at +12. Finally, bonus action twf and haste attack vs the bbeg. Two more hits at +13 and +14.

Compared to normal swords, you got 2 extra hits vs mooks, thats 17 damage for weapon plus dex. You also netted +55 damage from the weapon plusses, against the mooks only. So that’s 72 damage total, or about 10 per mook. Call it a 3d6 area effect.

Against the bbeg you hit two more times (+17 dng), and got bonus damage of +39. So that’s +56 all together, in terms of extra single-target damage.

So that’s sort of a rough extreme case scenario for what the weapons are worth at level 13.
Sorry, can you spell it out how a player is able to get 14 attacks in a turn? I don't understand that.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Sorry, can you spell it out how a player is able to get 14 attacks in a turn? I don't understand that.
It takes a very specific situation. Ranger (Hunter) 11 gets whirlwind attack, you get to attack everyone within five feet of you. So if you move into the middle of a bunch of enemies, that could be eight attacks.

Add Fighter 2 and you get action surge. That means you can do another whirlwind attack action, making 16 attacks so far. Of course, that's only 2 attacks per target, so like Icicle says, more of an area effect than what you might first think.

Then the haste spell gives you one more attack for 17, and your regular TWF bonus action makes 18.

Heh, I suppose if you were surrounded by tiny enemies, you could use whirlwind attack on up to 32 targets. That would give you 66 attacks total ;)

I think a fairly reasonable fix here would be to cap the weapon bonus at +3. That would make it just a pretty decent magic weapon.

Last edited:

Remove ads