• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twitter is a poor place

nyvinter

Adventurer
Some people have real followings, like Matt Mercer with 600k followers, but even then he only gets 1500 likes when he announces the next episode of CR is starting.
But he will get 20k likes if he tells everyone to look after themselves.

As a creative person, you need to learn not to take any stock in social media engagements. Because if you start to do that, then it will worm its way into your self-worth you'll get caught in a anxiety/depression spiral. This is not true just of Twitter, but tumblr, instagarm, facebook, whathave you. All the social media.

And also, like all asynchronous social media — which is all but Facebook now — unless you're famous your experience will mostly be shaped by who you follow and less by who follows you.

But yeah, going hard against limitations and ignoring them will lead to issues. But if a friend decides to play a 3D movie on my non-3D tv, I can't really blame the tv for it not working as intended.

Ryujin

Legend
As a creative person, you need to learn not to take any stock in social media engagements. Because if you start to do that, then it will worm its way into your self-worth you'll get caught in a anxiety/depression spiral. This is not true just of Twitter, but tumblr, instagarm, facebook, whathave you. All the social media.

And also, like all asynchronous social media — which is all but Facebook now — unless you're famous your experience will mostly be shaped by who you follow and less by who follows you.

But yeah, going hard against limitations and ignoring them will lead to issues. But if a friend decides to play a 3D movie on my non-3D tv, I can't really blame the tv for it not working as intended.
Advice from content creators: Do NOT read the comment section on youtube.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
His only actual areas of expertise are getting big mad on social media at people who criticize him in any way, and investing inherited wealth.
He's not my favorite person, but it's disingenous to say he's only good at social medias. Much of his success has been from smart business moves, notably shifting technology and knowledge between different product lines to jump ahead technology or fix inherent problems. Putting the rockets technologies in the electric car, and the electric car technology in the rockets. He's a great example of what a CEO does. He finds business opportunities, knows where to get the right people or technologies and get them at fixing these problems. There's the added benefit that he's an engineer himself, so he understands at least the high-level track of the projects he launches.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
He's not my favorite person, but it's disingenous to say he's only good at social medias.
Since I didn’t say that, this seems an odd reply.
Much of his success has been from smart business moves, notably shifting technology and knowledge between different product lines to jump ahead technology or fix inherent problems. Putting the rockets technologies in the electric car, and the electric car technology in the rockets. He's a great example of what a CEO does. He finds business opportunities, knows where to get the right people or technologies and get them at fixing these problems. There's the added benefit that he's an engineer himself, so he understands at least the high-level track of the projects he launches.
So, investing his inherited apartheid wealth. Like I said.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I tend to consider Twitter to be the internet's sewer - sometimes you can find things of value in there, but is it really worth wading through all the... rest?
Twitter is a completely different place for different people. If you just passively consume without any curation, you get garbage, but that’s just as true of Reddit and more true of Facebook. If you do curate your feed, you have a fun and informative place that is about to get a lot worse due to being the sole property of America’s second-most hypersensitive and vindictive oligarch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He's not my favorite person, but it's disingenous to say he's only good at social medias.

Well, given that the statement that he was good at social media AND investing, we are okay then. It isn't great when you leave off half of what someone says, and call them disingenuous for the lack.

There's the added benefit that he's an engineer himself...

He is self-styled as an engineer. He has a Bachelor of Arts in Physics, and a Bachelor of Science in Economics. He was accepted into a PhD program in material sciences at Stanford, but dropped out after two days. Lacking formal education, and not having held a job in which engineering was his primary responsibility, his claim on the title is open to question.

Last edited:

Remove ads