• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two handed weapons... *spoliers*

Perhaps I've missed it, but as far as I've seen there is no mechanical reason to desire to use a two-handed weapon. Sure, you get more damage out of power attack, but that's the only bonus I've seen.

Take the longsword and the greatsword. On average, one deals 4 damage, the other 5. But with versitile, the longsword will deal 5 damage two-handed, placing it on par with the greatsword for a cheaper cost. It's better than a falchion in that aspect. So, at the cost of 1 damage you can gain +2 AC and Refl though a heavy shield (and more through powers and feats).

I've looked a couple times, but I've found nothing that would give a real benefit (perhaps beyond the reach ability of polearms). Has anybody caught something I've missed?

This being said, I do love two-handed weapons. I myself plan on using either a falchion or a glaive with my first character. However, I'm hoping that this decision won't place me below the optimized level of chosing a one-handed weapon.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
From what I recall (off the top of my head... and I don't feel like looking) you do get 1.5x str bonus in damage. That might not seem significant, but it could be...

2 handed weapons with small creatures however, IS useless

Sir Brennen

Legend
Are there powers which are designed for two-handed weapon use? I'm thinking that base weapon damage is less significant than what abilities you can use based on your fighting style choice.

Mort_Q

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Are there powers which are designed for two-handed weapon use? I'm thinking that base weapon damage is less significant than what abilities you can use based on your fighting style choice.

First splat book is martial powers... I suspect that if we don't have them now, we will in... October (iirc) ?

greyscale1

First Post
Just wanted to bring up something no one has yet.

While you are right about the crapiness of the greatsword, versatility works a bit differently I believe.

The difference is that versatility does not factor into power [W] Multipliers. I'll explain.

Fighter uses some power that does 6[w] with greatsword and longsword weilded w/ 2 hands.

greatsword 6d10 = 30
longsword 6d8+1 = 25

An extreme example and a piddling difference, I know. I just thought I would point out the difference.

Sashi

First Post
Use a 2H weapon if you want to deal the absolute highest damage you can, but if you don't, you're not gimping yourself in the damage department like you were with 3E

Use Sword & Board if you want to have the absolute highest AC you can, but if you don't, you're not gimping your AC like you were in 3E

These are good things.

I hadn't realized that, good observation! You're right though, it's not huge.

I like to assume you get a 1.5x STR bonus to damage at least, but I haven't found it quite yet. While it appears that two-handed and one-handed weapons aren't quite on the same level, it will still be manageable. What we need is an example haha!

I just browsed the MM, and it does indeed appear that there is a 1.5x STR bonus to damage for wielding a weapon two-handed. However, this creates the question of why the versatile weapon trait even exists. Is it a flat bonus then, and there is no STR modifier?

Anyway, a couple ways to make up for the AC diff:
- take the proficiency feat to wear plate armor (paladins get this for free, fighters don't), although it's hard to spend a feat on that.
- use a weapon that gives a high attack bonus (such as a falchion) and combine it with power attack
Basically optimize :p

Anybody else find anything? 1.5x STR seems like its there (although I haven't actually read the formula in the PHB yet)

Stalker0

Legend
Ioreck_Thorinback said:
Perhaps I've missed it, but as far as I've seen there is no mechanical reason to desire to use a two-handed weapon. Sure, you get more damage out of power attack, but that's the only bonus I've seen.

The fighter's reaping strike ability does full strength damage on a miss with a THW, and only 1/2 with sword/board.

Another good eye!

And you're right Sashi - the AC and Refl boost missing out is capped at 3 now, since you dont get enhancements on shields. Thank god! But still, the gap in effectiveness between using a one-handed weapon and a two-handed weapon is very narrow, especially as levels increase.

Two handed weapons appear to be one damage die higher than one-handed weapons, which is closed due to the versatile weapon trait, and at best have a special quality such as reach or high crit. In fact, based on the weapon chart, the difference between a one-handed and two-handed weapon's average damage is only 2 (between weapons of the same type). While a falchion deals more damage than a scimitar, its just on par with a longsword (worse if there is no 1.5x str bonus).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads