• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two handed weapons... *spoliers*

Hmmh, you can look at it that way: a longsword is not always versatile, but a longsword inted for such a use is.

A great sword does d10 damage if you are not really trained in it... if you have bastard sword proficiency, the exact same sword is now a bastard sword for you!

Stalker0

Legend
UngeheuerLich said:
Hmmh, you can look at it that way: a longsword is not always versatile, but a longsword inted for such a use is.

A great sword does d10 damage if you are not really trained in it... if you have bastard sword proficiency, the exact same sword is now a bastard sword for you!

Unless you have that nifty +5 greatsword.

Dracollich

First Post
Mirtek said:
However the +1 can easily mean that in the end the BS user get's more damage because of the one attack the maul user missed more than him.

That's why I was only comparing the sword with the same +3 to hit. If we start to compare them against axes and hammers we have to factor the -1 to hit

I agree. The BS user will hit 5% more often. One other thing to consider though, the dwarf's dwarven weapon training: +2 damage.

With that said...
PC1 "I'm a BS user!"
PC2 "So, does that mean you have a high bluff?"

Spatula

Explorer
After crunching some numbers, the greatsword definitely comes up short in average damage calculations compared to the greataxe & maul (which are pretty well balanced against one-another). The greatsword does around 0.4 points of damage less per attack than the others - not terribly significant unless you're a min-maxer. One interesting note is that heroic-tier PA (-2 / +3) improves the average sword damage but reduces the axe/maul damage against AC 16 (a typical value at low levels), although the impact is very slight in both cases.

But then it hit me - looking at average damage per round against a given AC only holds for basic attacks, which were 100% of your attacks in previous editions, but rarely used now. That +1 to hit for swords might be very important when it comes to using daily & encounter powers, although I'm not sure how to model the costs & benefits there except on a power-by-power basis.

Surgoshan

First Post
I think that after a few levels, your weapon choice won't really matter except in terms of flavor. Bonuses from levels and feats will start to overwhelm it.

The problem is that there are feats and powers to make using a shield better, and that there is nothing for two-handed weapons (power attack isn't *that* beneficial)

And it sucks that two-handing a falchion is worse than two-handing a longsword. Seriously sucks.

Spatula

Explorer
Falchion vs 2H longsword vs AC 16, at level 1:
to hit: 3 weapon + 3 str + 1 fighter talent
damage: 3 str (+1 versatile, longsword only)

average damage for falchion: 8 * .55 + 16 * .05 = 5.2 damage per round
average damage for 2H longsword = 8.5 * .55 + 12 * .05 = 5.275 damage per round

Pretty comparable, actually.

Last edited:

Zsig

Explorer
Spatula said:
Falchion vs 2H longsword vs AC 16, at level 1:
to hit: 3 weapon + 3 str + 1 fighter talent
damage: 3 str (+1 versatile, longsword only)

average damage for falchion: 8 * .45 + 19 * .05 = 4.55 damage per round
average damage for 2H longsword = 8.5 * .45 + 12 * .05 = 4.425 damage per round

What about the High Crit from the falchion?...or it's already there?

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Well, I screwed up the math there in a couple of places... was computing vs AC 18 instead of AC 16 and was maxing out the extra dice from the falchion's high-crit. In the real calculation, they end up nearly the same (5.2 for falchion vs 5.275 for the longsword used 2H). The falchion will be better on 2[w] (or higher) powers, since the versatile bonus won't get multiplied, and the high-crit property improves as you level up, whereas the longsword used 2H will not.

2[w]+Str for Falchion (4d4+3), needing 9+ to hit:
(13 * .55) + (24 * .05) = 8.35

2[w]+Str for 2H Longsword (2d8+4), needing 9+ to hit:
(13 * .55) + (20 * .05) = 8.15

For example, at level 11...
Str 18, Weapon Focus, Power Attack, +3 weapon (+d6 on crits) = +15 dmg (+16 for longsword)

Falchion, 1[w] power, 11+ to hit: (20 * .45) + (43.5 * .05) = 11.175
2H Longsword, same thing: (20.5 * .45) + (34.5 * .05) = 10.95

Falchion, 2[w] power, 11+ to hit: (25 * .45) + (51.5 * .05) = 13.825
2H Longsword, same thing: (25 * .45) + (42.5 * .05) = 13.375

Note that you have access to 3[w] powers as dailies at 1st level.

In terms of raw damage, the greataxe is probably the big winner, but it remains to be seen how important that +1 to hit that you get with blades would be for non-reliable encounter/daily powers. You only get one shot to hit with them per fight, so you'd want every advantage you can get in order to connect.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads