• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two haste weapons

questionmark

First Post
I would bet the farm that this has been done before but this came up and we are right about to play.

Can you have 2 speed weapons and get an extra attack with each weapon?

PHB pg. 225 "Speed:When making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder's full base attack bonus, plas any modifiers appropriate to the situation.(This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)"

Now i instantly thought no, but it does say "make one extra attack with it.

Please help and to convince it would be helpful to have specific facts and/or page numbers and such.

Thanks

shilsen

Adventurer
Since it is not cumulative with similar effects, one could argue that another speed weapon is a similar effect.

PaulGreystoke

First Post
questionmark said:
"(This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)"
The benefit provided by the 2nd weapon of Speed is a "similar" effect (it is in fact an identical effect) to the benefit granted by the 1st weapon of Speed & thus is not cumulative. So no they don't stack. But they do overlap, so if you lose the 1st weapon of Speed, the benefit granted by the 2nd would still be in effect.

questionmark

First Post
shilsen said:
Since it is not cumulative with similar effects, one could argue that another speed weapon is a similar effect.

Yes that is what I said, But one sword does not effect the other sword?
Because it grants an extra attack with that weapon not just an extra attack with any weapon.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
questionmark said:
Because it grants an extra attack with that weapon not just an extra attack with any weapon.

The effect is on "the wielder", not the weapon. Doesn't stack.

Andargor

Balgus

First Post
questionmark said:
By that logic, you shouldbe able to wear boots of speed and cast the spell on you for added bonus. The boots affect your feet and the spell affects you, so with those three, you should be at 4 extra attacks for your full rd action.

Similar effects do not stack. the weapon gives you an extra attack- so having a second weapon that does that will not work. Waste of money.

dcollins

Explorer
From the FAQ:

The description for the speed weapon property says it is
not cumulative with the haste spell, but exactly how this
applies in the game seems unclear, especially when two
weapons of speed are involved. Can you use two speed
weapons at the same time? What, exactly, is meant when
the rules say haste and speed don’t stack? Does it mean you
can use the speed property during the normal portion of
your turn, but not during the “extra” partial action you get
from haste?

You can use two weapons of speed at a time all right, but
you still only get one extra attack, from one weapon or the
other, not both. If you are under the effects of a haste spell, you
can use the extra attack action from one weapon of speed, or
the extra partial action from the haste spell, but not both.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yes. Only one coupon per customer.

I think, there's a specific (epic) double weapon that does grant an extra attack with both sides. So you had to create a double weapon (or a matched set of weapons) that give you two extra attacks (which would cost extra, of course).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'll swim against the crowd here.

I would happily rule that each weapon would gain an extra attack. I think that even as it is the speed ability is overcharged, and the fact that it doesn't stack with haste anyway makes it even less valuable as a weapon ability.

Although some people have said that the speed effect is on the wielder, that is only half right... because the user of a dagger of speed can't use the power to gain an extra attack with the dwarven waraxe of whopping which he's holding in the other hand! It only gives an extra attack with the weapon itself. The wording about wielders is a redundant red herring... who else is going to be using it?

If it said "the speed property bestows a haste effect on the wielder, allowing him to take an extra attack yadda yadda then everyone else would be correct (and it would be a neat way of handling it... automatically nixing any stacking with haste etc). But since it doesn't say that I believe that the text and the spirit of the rules both allow a dual wielder with two speed weapons (and obviously more cash than he knows what to do with!) an extra attack with each weapon.

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads