Two Hobbit Films???

horacethegrey

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Interesting, but not going to happen, unless my darkest wish will come true (Christopher Tolkien and his sympathizing trustees dies).

:] :] :]
Dude... Isn't that a bit harsh? I know Chris Tolkien has been a bit unreasonable in the defense of his father's estate (unreasonable may be a bit too kind, fanatical is more like it), but that's too much.

As for my thoughts on the subject at hand, well, as I said before in a previous thread, I'm all for a Hobbit movie, so long as Peter Jackson and Weta are involved. But a second movie to fill in the story gaps? :confused: Eh, I'm curious, but I don't see how anyone can pull it off.

I don't know -- if you cull all the sources, there's a lot of material between Hobbit and LotR in an "Adventures of Gandalf the Grey" sort of theme:

- Gandalf against the Necromancer
- Balin's return to Moria
- Hunt for Gollum (w/ Aragorn & Legolas added to draw a female demographic)
- More Aragorn & Arwyn
- Bilbo adopting Frodo

A Hobbit prequel might be even better:

- Smaug coming to the lonely Mountain
- Thror, lost in Moria, and Gandalf's search for him there
- Gandalf and Thrain in the dungeons of the Necromancer
- The dwarves in the Ered Luin
- Assembling the expedition to the Lonely Mountain

Brown Jenkin

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I really hope that Leonard Nimoy's song makes it into at least one of the movies.

You'll be disapointed. I know I was when Frodo of the Nine Fingers didn't make it into The Return of the King. :)

Shag

Explorer
It could easily be 2 films, if you read the hobbit alot of stuff is really compressed in the text. Remember the hobbit takes place over the same time period as Lord of the Rings does. Its basically a one year journey there and back. Alot of stuff happens in the hobbit.
And if you add in even a bit of backstory at all. Especially the story that Gandalf tells the fellowship after the Coronation of Elessar in Minas Tirith about how he met Thorin and what led him to the shire.
Then tack on even a bit of the white council driving out Sauron from Dol Guldur easily 2 movies.
Remember the 10 minute scene that came from the screenplay that simply said: And they cross the bridge of Kazad-dum. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Shag said:
It could easily be 2 films, if you read the hobbit alot of stuff is really compressed in the text. Remember the hobbit takes place over the same time period as Lord of the Rings does. Its basically a one year journey there and back. Alot of stuff happens in the hobbit.
And if you add in even a bit of backstory at all. Especially the story that Gandalf tells the fellowship after the Coronation of Elessar in Minas Tirith about how he met Thorin and what led him to the shire.
Then tack on even a bit of the white council driving out Sauron from Dol Guldur easily 2 movies.
Remember the 10 minute scene that came from the screenplay that simply said: And they cross the bridge of Kazad-dum. :)
The first one could end with Smaug's last moments. The battle over smaug's hoard could easily inflated into another 1/2 movie with the connecting of the Hobbit & LOTR as the other 1/2.

Remove ads