• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two magic items, do they exist?

IcyCool

First Post
So, I had a player ask if he could get ahold of items that do the following:

1. An item that allows the wearer/user to see through Disguis Self. I suggested a Gem of True Seeing, but he says that he's seen an item like this before. Does it exist? Or is there a spell out there that lets you see through Disguise Self? (Aside from True Seeing).

2. An item of Invisibility to Animals. This one I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere.

I'm most interested in the first item (two party members have hats of disguise, and he'd like to be able to see through it.) The second item isn't all that important (do tell me if you know of one), as I'm pretty sure he only wants it to piss off the party Druid.

Thanks in advance.

Raesene Andu

First Post
Gem of Seeing (DMG, pg. 257) is the most obvious choice for item 1. I can't recall any other item or spell off the top of my head that would be as effective. You can always make something up.

Personally I'd be wary about giving something to a player because they ask for it though.

Pinotage

Explorer
IcyCool said:
1. An item that allows the wearer/user to see through Disguis Self. I suggested a Gem of True Seeing, but he says that he's seen an item like this before. Does it exist? Or is there a spell out there that lets you see through Disguise Self? (Aside from True Seeing).

2. An item of Invisibility to Animals. This one I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere.

I'm most interested in the first item (two party members have hats of disguise, and he'd like to be able to see through it.) The second item isn't all that important (do tell me if you know of one), as I'm pretty sure he only wants it to piss off the party Druid.

Thanks in advance.

For 1) you can use a simple Detect Magic for a character with high enough spellcraft to detect the illusion spell. Other than that, Gem of Seeing with do it. Or just bump into them and feel if they're exactly what they appear to be.

For 2) are you thinking of the Hide from Animals spell? The Druid Level 0 spell which hides a subject from an animal? You could probably easily custom make something along those lines.

Pinotage

Infiniti2000

First Post
Note that a gem of true seeing only negates the +10 bonus on the disguise check. I say "only" as if it's a small thing, but it's not. An assassin with a very good disguise check will still succeed most of the time, however, even if you see through the magical part of the disguise. To really counter it, the only thing you can do is increase your Spot check. Anything that improves wisdom or gives you direct bonuses to Spot (even skill focus) would work.

On #2, be very careful about pricing it. Although it's a 1st-level druid spell (not 0th), having the ability to be continuous should not be as cheap as the pricing guidelines would have you believe. It would be along the lines of a continous cure minor wounds (which would be like a ring of regeneration).

IcyCool

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Note that a gem of true seeing only negates the +10 bonus on the disguise check. I say "only" as if it's a small thing, but it's not. An assassin with a very good disguise check will still succeed most of the time, however, even if you see through the magical part of the disguise. To really counter it, the only thing you can do is increase your Spot check. Anything that improves wisdom or gives you direct bonuses to Spot (even skill focus) would work.

If they were using the Hat of Disguise to create a disguise, yes. But it also allows you to simply make yourself look different through illusion. This may sound like the same thing, but the Disguise self spell can make you look like an Elf (say you are a human), or you can use it to make a disguise (you are trying to look like a specific Elf). I was wondering if there was something cheaper than the gem of true seeing to see through a 1st-level illusion spell. If not, I'm certainly fine with that.

Infiniti2000 said:
On #2, be very careful about pricing it. Although it's a 1st-level druid spell (not 0th), having the ability to be continuous should not be as cheap as the pricing guidelines would have you believe. It would be along the lines of a continous cure minor wounds (which would be like a ring of regeneration).

I know, I'll be careful on the price, but wasn't there an item that did this already? (Why create one when I could just use an already published item).

Lamoni

First Post
for #2, I can't think of any item that does it... but you can buy potions of hide from animals. If he wants to just play pranks on the druid he could just drink one whenever he wildshapes. If he needs it to work every single time, that would require an item which would be expensive. I'd suggest putting 20 potions in his handy haversack and see if that is good enough. That would only cost 1,000 gp and last 2 weeks if he used them all the time. Or 2-3 months if he just did it occasionally.

Bad Paper

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Although it's a 1st-level druid spell (not 0th), having the ability to be continuous should not be as cheap as the pricing guidelines would have you believe. It would be along the lines of a continous cure minor wounds (which would be like a ring of regeneration).
uhhh You can't have a continuous instantaneous effect. It breaks my brain trying to think of the calculus.

Remove ads