Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

gyor

Legend
I mean sure, it looks nice, but I feel like other than the admittedly gorgeous detail on the dragon's scales it could be literally any fantasy novel cover from the 90's. Especially the ivory towers in the background.

I see that as a plus, not a minus, I like a lot of fantasy art and comic art from the 90's.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I mean sure, it looks nice, but I feel like other than the admittedly gorgeous detail on the dragon's scales it could be literally any fantasy novel cover from the 90's. Especially the ivory towers in the background.
Indeed. It didn't feel very specific...

pukunui

Legend
I see that as a plus, not a minus, I like a lot of fantasy art and comic art from the 90's.

There’s nothing in it indicative/evocative of the “Moonshae Isles”, though, so in that sense it fails as a cover. It reminds me of those generic fantasy pictures you see in the bargain puzzle bin.

There’s nothing in it indicative/evocative of the “Moonshae Isles”, though, so in that sense it fails as a cover. It reminds me of those generic fantasy pictures you see in the bargain puzzle bin.

Not sufficiently "Celtic" you mean? I'm inclined to agree, and I'm afraid the original celticness of the Moonsheas will be lost in this iteration.

Not sufficiently "Celtic" you mean? I'm inclined to agree, and I'm afraid the original celticness of the Moonsheas will be lost in this iteration.

Judging a book by its cover much?

When one island in the table of contents is noted as "reclaimed by the fey" and another as "perilous moorland", and with all the references to the Ffolk and the Northlanders in the player section, I tend to doubt that will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

The island "reclaimed by Fey" has had it's Celtic name replaced with a non-Celtic name. The current D&D version of Fey seems to owe more to the Victorians than the Celts. As can be seen in the picture of gleaming white spires, rather than a pile of mossy stones.

pukunui

Legend
I guess. But they could have put a moonwell on the cover. Or a faerie dragon rather than whatever kind of dragon that is. They could also have included some blond elves and a firbolg or two, plus maybe a Viking Northlander longship ... and so on.

Perhaps. But I was specifically thinking of Newt, the faerie dragon from the original Moonshae novels.

I know, but a new edition should be an opportunity to rectify the bad stuff from earlier versions, not double-down on the tweeness by adding Victorian-style fairy castles.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads