• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two new Standard Actions for versatility

Big J Money

Adventurer
Thought I'd share some simple little ideas I had that could give your players some options they are probably going to ask for anyway. I originally posted these on the official boards. I'm unfamiliar with cross posting and external quoting rules, so I'll just post links to be safe. (Edit: Okay, I broke down and pasted my stuff here so nobody would have to go elsewhere.)

TOTAL RECOVERY: STANDARD ACTION
  • +2 Bonus to Saving Throws: You gain a +2 bonus to any saving throws made until the start of your next turn.

TOTAL COVER: STANDARD ACTION
  • Superior Cover: You gain superior cover against any creature that you would have cover against until the start of your next turn.
Both of these are subject to DM fiat, since the original intent of these were for situations where the player says things such as, "I want to roll around on the ground to put the fire out." or "I try to pull the giant spear out of my shoulder so I won't be slowed anymore." or "I want to hide behind this low wall and not attack anyone so they'll have a harder time hitting me." I'm not sure I can say that the above rules should be allowed all the time. Maybe it would even be better to say the DM must approve these actions as available, rather than subject to fiat.

Cheers,

-- John M.

Last edited:

I actually like both of those suggested standard actions. They are simple and effective. The total recovery one makes it a bit difficult for immobilizing effects since any melee combatant will immediately will go to try to break it and it will give multiple effects a kick in the pants.

TheNinjaD

First Post
I don't like that you made both of these a link to the WotC forums. I would rather you just repost them here if you want to discuss them here. However, I think both of these are fine.

Remove ads