D&D (2024) UA 8 Barbarian Discussion

I can say that I really want every barbarian subclass to be magical in the future. I think the barbarian as a warrior who channels magical forces and goes crazy with unrestrained arcane/divine/primal/psionic rage is super cool and has a lot of room for many subclasses to fill. I'd love to see a Path of Sin Barbarian that is fueled by the anguish of the sinful throughout the Nine Hells or a Path of Dragons where you gain various draconic features as part of yoru rage etc etc etc. At long last let D&D have an actually cool magic warrior.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I just feel it has a lot of potential to be nothing but a feel-bad mechanic like this... Especially because, though inspiration is more plentiful now, you cannot use it to help the roll, because the roll already has Advantage, you're just choosing not to use it.
I’m not sure if that’s the RAI, but even if it is, I think it’s still fine. Just, again, situational.
But, I'll grant that the roll should be fine when the Barb has at least Bless and Bardic Inspiration up (very likely at lv9) and there's a cliff nearby.
Or, just, against low-AC targets.

Kurotowa

Legend
Or, just, against low-AC targets.
This is WotC listening to all the people who said that Power Attack was a meaningful tactical choice. Do you sacrifice Advantage for the extra damage from Brutal Strike, or do you go for the more reliable hit without it? Make your choice, roll the dice, and see what happens.

Mephista

Adventurer
Rogues get Cunning strike at 5, when Barbarian get multi-attack.

So they can do 2 effects. You can do 2 effects (via weapon mastery).

At level 9. You can do 4 effects (2 weapon mastery + 2 Brutal Strike).
I don't care. I could bring up a ton of reasons why this justification isn't good, but frankly, I shouldn't need to. This isn't about a power budget, this is about creating a fun play experience, and waiting til most games are ending to get something that creates a fun play experience but isn't overpowered (especially with the tradeoff) isn't what I consider a good build.

I don't even care about the damage. That can stay at 9. Its about the tactical choices each turn.

Horwath

Legend
Barbarian needs better capstone at level 20.
Or at least less lame one than ability score inflation.
Isn't this edition all about that "bounded accuracy"?

How about:
your Brutal strike no longer uses your advantage and you can use brutal strike on every attack you make?
Including Action, Bonus action and Reaction.

Horwath

Legend
Stacking Guidance+Bardic Inspiration+upcoming Fighter Tactical Mind+Battlemaster Stealth maneuver+Pass Without Trace say no.
guidance needs to go in current form. Maybe it should just add advantage.

all others are finite resources and do not give attack bonuses(neither does guidance), and if you want to blow all that on one ability(stealth) check, well go for it.

bounded accuracy should only be focused on attack, saves, AC and DC.

mellored

Legend
I don't even care about the damage. That can stay at 9. Its about the tactical choices each turn.
They have weapon mastery at level 1. And you don't need to take Graze.

At 2, with reckless attack and a pike, they are the best pushers in the game.
Or use a Maul to be the best at knocking prone.

At level 5, they can do both.

Level 9 allows for a slow + prone + push.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is WotC listening to all the people who said that Power Attack was a meaningful tactical choice. Do you sacrifice Advantage for the extra damage from Brutal Strike, or do you go for the more reliable hit without it? Make your choice, roll the dice, and see what happens.
It’s not really a tactical choice, because there’s a right answer. It’s a math problem disguised as a tactical choice.

Remove ads