UA Psychic Warrior Augmented Defense

Lavok

Villager
Hi Everyone

I am currently playing a Level 3 Psychic Warrior/Level 4 Psionic Wizard for one of my campaigns. He is a replacement for a character that died in the previous session. This weekend we had our first combat encounters with him. In the first combat, I used the Mind Sliver/Mind Thrust combo to great effect. In the next combat, the DM targeted me. I used Augmented Defense for every reaction and was able to reduce a lot of damage. At the end of the session, we decided that this ability could use a bit of a nerf so we decided that I could use that ability a number of times equal to my Intelligence modifier per short rest.

I have not told my DM yet, but soon I am going to use the Booming Blade cantrip with a shadow blade and then use Mind Thrust. That seems like a particularly nasty combo.

Has anyone been playtesting the Psionic Subclasses from this UA? What are your thoughts?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Mind Thrust only limits the enemy's action to Dash or Disengage. It doesn't force them to use any of their movement. So they could Dash/Disengage/Do Nothing plus not move, and avoid triggering the rider damage from Booming Blade.

So it would basically just cause them to waste their Action, but wouldn't force any further damage.

It also would leave their Bonus Action and Reaction untouched.

Lavok

Villager
Mind Thrust only limits the enemy's action to Dash or Disengage. It doesn't force them to use any of their movement. So they could Dash/Disengage/Do Nothing plus not move, and avoid triggering the rider damage from Booming Blade.

So it would basically just cause them to waste their Action, but wouldn't force any further damage.

It also would leave their Bonus Action and Reaction untouched.
You are correct. You give them a choice. Move and take damage or stay there and be useless until I hit you again. Either way, it is a win for me.

Remove ads