UA Ranger multiclassing builds

hejtmane

Explorer
I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

UA Hunter 3 gets you Horde Breaker, Hunter 3 gets you another instance of Horde Breaker. As long as there's two opponents next to each other, that's 3 attacks.

I thought you meant the Multi class attack + hoard breaker my misunderstanding still not a big deal you lose out on an asi at early levels realy no different if you went 6 ranger with Hoard breaker now. Later levels would be a better benifits but you still be better of going 5 ranger then multiclass to other ranger. That is if it is even allowed by the DM me personally only one Ranger Class is aviliable all normal multiclass is in play but Ranger/Ranger is not it is a Ranger alterative to the current (that is my take anyways)

CTurbo

Explorer
Hordebreaker and multi-attack make plenty of sense. But why volley?

With volley, you could hit up to a possible best case scenario 25 creatures in 1 turn assuming they're in a 5x5 cadence. Of course that's EXTREMELY unlikely, but surely you'd be able to hit 4, 5, maybe even 6 enemies at once. Advantage on each attack and auto crit for each hit.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. If you hit the dot in the middle, and they're all 5ft apart, you could hit the other 24 dots since they're all within 10ft.

. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .

mellored

Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong here. If you hit the dot in the middle, and they're all 5ft apart, you could hit the other 24 dots since they're all within 10ft.
It's 10' from a point, which is a 20' radius.

So more like...

. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

Picking the empty point in the middle. More likely to get 2-3 IMO.

Now for some numbers.

ranger 11/rogue 5
2d8+5+6d6 vollly-snaek-surprise-crit. = 35 damage in a 20' radius.
1d8+5+3d6 volly sneak - without surprise = 20 damage in a 20' radius.

ranger 5/rogue 5
(8d6+20+6d6)/2 multi-attack, x-box x-pert, hordebreaker, and surprise-crits = 34 against 2 targets within 5' of eachother.
(4d6+20+3d6)/2 multi-attack, x-box x-pert, hordebreaker, no surprise. = 22.25 against 2 targets within 5' of eachother.

and just for comaprison.
8d8 conjure volly = 36 damage in a 40' radius. (+half damage on a miss).

So yea, volly isn't adding much except in a few cases where enemies are huddled.

CTurbo

Explorer
Ah I see. I'm just learning about the 5e Ranger. I was going to choose a dual wielding Ranger as my first 5e character but it seemed too weak so I went Barbarian instead. It's only recently that I've revisited the 5e Ranger and it doesn't seem to be TOO bad. The Archer especially seems to be fairly strong. Too bad I already have a level 5 Battle Master Archer Fighter.

Anyway, volley is a very situational feature, but I still think it would be useful. You really need to be able to shoot 3 enemies with it for it to be better than your regular 2 attacks + Horde Breaker. You can use Horde Breaker after volley right?

mellored

Legend
I'm not saying volley is useless, but I don't think it's worth 6 levels. You could go warlock and get fireball with that, plus superior darkvision, an owl familiar, druid rituals, ect...

Now the new darkstalker ranger, or the new beast Master have some good options.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
UA Hunter 3 gets you Horde Breaker, Hunter 3 gets you another instance of Horde Breaker. As long as there's two opponents next to each other, that's 3 attacks.

Mearls mentioned they haven't done a pass for multiclassing balance yet. My guess is that even if they are separate classes so you could multiclass between them, they would probably have a note that features named the same don't stack, you just get whichever you had first like with Unarmed Defense (barb & monk).

I doubt this will be legal in the final version.

Remove ads