Uh... since when was this an issue.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
Why doesn't someone just ask Wizards which way they went?

The PHB is off to the printers now. I heard it was going to be replaced with something else from 4th edition, similar to how Brutal weapons operated if I understand correctly.

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
I await with baited breath..and will probably H.R. it out if necessary. I'm trying to get my games to move farther and farther away from combats, so more complexity won't necessarily be a good thing. Having to do accounting on misses seems like just something to reduce the feeling of the wiff' factor. Instead, perhaps a variable effect might be neater, like "Bonus +2 attack b/c you came so close last time."

I dunno. We'll see.

andreww

First Post
The intense war over D&D is one of "ownership". The fans who grew up with the game from almost day one resent the game getting turned into something it has never been before and thus you have warfare. Right or wrong, I'm not judging. I'm just explaining why 13th Age gets a pass and D&D 5e and 4e do not.
Speak for yourself. Plenty of us who grew up with early versions of the game are perfectly happy with later changes, additions and alterations. Not all of us are still living in 1974.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Speak for yourself. Plenty of us who grew up with early versions of the game are perfectly happy with later changes, additions and alterations. Not all of us are still living in 1974.

That is fine. So you don't fit in that group. Tons of people do. Obviously if you feel a sense of ownership but the changes fit your conceptions of how the game should go then you are fine with it. Its like if I said I wanted to paint your house pink. If you really liked pink you might be okay with that even though it's your house. I would not like a pink house so I'd object. And this is just a hyperbolic example. I'm not saying anyone really wants a pink house.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
That is fine. So you don't fit in that group. Tons of people do. Obviously if you feel a sense of ownership but the changes fit your conceptions of how the game should go then you are fine with it. Its like if I said I wanted to paint your house pink. If you really liked pink you might be okay with that even though it's your house. I would not like a pink house so I'd object. And this is just a hyperbolic example. I'm not saying anyone really wants a pink house.

The problem with this entire playtest is you have people saying pink houses are the best because they personally like pink, and that they feel entitled to force that upon everyone else, despite the fact that pink houses are extremely rare. (For now)

They feel compelled to state how accommodating they are to your preferences by telling you if you don't like the pink they are putting on your house, that you are free to paint it over with white on your own dime afterwards. (But trust them, you'll really really love pink after a while!).

Many people don't like damage on a miss, including several members of the design team. Since they all worked on 4th edition, I guess andrew will think they're stuck in 1974? Because whatever's modern is always right and better, and my preferences are better than yours, and pink is going to be the new white because one neighbourhood decided to try it. Meanwhile, 1/2 the people moved out of that neighbourhood or painted their houses different colors afterwards.

That town is now a ghost town that buses don't even stop in. But pink is a great idea for everyone, and that town's problem wasn't that it had too much pink, but not enough. Also, if you don't like it, you're a fossil and probably a bigot too.

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
I know some people loved 4e. I'd like to state again, for the record, I left 4e (and D&D as a whole, after 25 years of D&D gaming) because I didn't like, in my opinion, the tidal wave of annoying and hard-to-house-rule-out modifiers. It infected the entire system, like a virus and simply wasn't the game I wanted to play (especially DM).

The benefit of it not fitting me and my group however was that we started trying out different systems. I state that "I walked out of the D&D fog." Now we play all kinds of things, and I can come back to D&D (hopefully) with an open mind.

Specifically, we've enjoyed: Pathfinder, WFRP3, The One Ring, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, AFMBE, Outbreak:Undead and I think a few others.

..so, as long as I can easily house rule 5e if it has stuff that I would consider "petty accounting", I'm good.

If not, well..

jh

Obryn

Hero
Will it be pretty easy to house rule out? Seems kind of like just existing fo accounting sake. I didnt know it was even in 13th A' , but we never got that thick into the rules, and we didnt playtest 5e that far.

jh
It's very embedded in 13A, and part of the overall game math. I would worry about houseruling it out of there.

In Next, it was a microscopic thing, and last I heard, it was removed anyway.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
It's very embedded in 13A, and part of the overall game math. I would worry about houseruling it out of there.

In Next, it was a microscopic thing, and last I heard, it was removed anyway.

I wonder if your source is the same as mine. But we'll all know soon enough. I'm worried after Second Wind is real HP similar to lay on hands, it seems the bait and switch of them pretending to cater to multiple playstyles through modules, including classicists and simulationists is now out of the window, and their 4th edition design preferences (gamism only concern) are creeping back to the foreground.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
Given the very edition-warry replies we still see to this topic, I'd say the sub-forum is still quite necessary.

The problem is that many of the topics that people discuss and argue about here do at their core come down to edition preferences, whether it's about hit points, alignment, paladins, adventure design realism. And they will never meet in the middle, because there just no common ground to find much of the time.

The only common ground I can find with some people is just to say let's agree to disagree, and put it in a module. but D&D Next isn't really modular, it's a melting pot, they are mixing in stuff without regard to playstyle and which therefore is a slap in the face to those playstyles. How can one have a gritty game, for example, if fighters can heal themselves in the middle of combat without even taking two seconds pause to bandage themselves? That massive blow that landed squarely on your chest, that the DM just narrated happened to your character, didn't suddenly stop having happened if you use Second Wind on your next turn, does it. Some people are tolerant (or ignorant) of narrative contradictions, and others aren't. At which point the discussion digresses into "you viewpoint is absurd", vs "no it's just a game it doesn't have to make sense"

Eventually the ignore feature gets used if I feel like it's arguing v. brick walls, but since the ignore feature is one-way, they often keep replying behind my back and therefore the ignore feature is useless.

Last edited:

Remove ads