• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unarmed Rogue AV & MP (Look its a monk!)

Foxman

First Post
Using a magic item from the Adventures Vault and a new class power from the Martial Power book it appears we can make a psedo-monk using a rogue.

For you consideration:

BELT OF THE BRAWLER
Adventures Vault
Your punch packs a wallop when this belt is about your waist.
Level: 3
Price: 680 gp
Item Slot: Waist
Property: Make improvised attacks (included unarmed attacks) as if you were armed with a club.

RUTHLESS RUFFIAN
Appears in Martial Power
You are proficient with the club and the mace, and you can use those weapons with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a light blade. If you use a club or a mace to deliver an attack that has the rattling keyword, add your Strength modifier to the damage roll.

So - using your unarmed attacks as if they were with a club, and you are treated as if you were using a Light Blade while using a club. So in theory you can sneak attack and use rogue light blade powers while unarmed...

Pretty nifty! Looks almost like a monk to me ;)

RefinedBean

First Post
Let's keep this thread low-key, or else WotC will read and decide they don't need to make an actual Monk class. ;)

Reflavor the Sneak Attack as a pressure-point strike and away we go!

DracoSuave

First Post
Spiked Guantlets aren't an Improvised Weapon, so it wouldn't work with the item. Unarmed Attack is a specific type of Improvised weapon, with the unarmed weapon-type, but not all unarmed weapon-type attacks are Improvised Weapons. Spiked Guantlet is a Simple Weapon.

Drakhar

First Post
Spiked Guantlets aren't an Improvised Weapon, so it wouldn't work with the item. Unarmed Attack is a specific type of Improvised weapon, with the unarmed weapon-type, but not all unarmed weapon-type attacks are Improvised Weapons. Spiked Guantlet is a Simple Weapon.
So what your saying is that even though the belt says included unarmed attacks, and you're using an unarmed weapon to make the attack (Keep in mind Spiked gauntlets take up your hand slot not weapon slot when enchanted) that you are in fact, not making an unarmed attack with it.

Gruns

Explorer
Handwraps!

Neat. Too bad you can't enchant your fists :p

Just make up a generic item and fix that!
Ki Handwraps
Lvl 1 +1 360gp
Lvl 2 +2 520gp
Lvl 3 +3 etc etc etc up to +6
Item Slot: Hands
Property: Add this item's Enhancement Bonus to Unarmed Attack rolls and Damage rolls.
Critical: 1d6 per plus.

And then you can spice it up a bit...
Crescent Handwraps of the Jade Initiate
Lvl 10 +2 5,000GP
Property: Add this item's Enhancement Bonus to Unarmed Attack rolls and Damage rolls.
Critical: 1d6 per plus, and the target is knocked Prone.
Power(Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with an unarmed attack. The target is Weakened (Save Ends)

Crescent Handwraps of the Jade Apprentice
Lvl 20 +4 125,000GP
Power(Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with an unarmed attack. The target is Dazed (Save Ends)

Crescent Handwraps of the Jade Master
Lvl 30 +6 3,125,000GP
Power(Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with an unarmed attack. The target is Stunned (Save Ends)

Later!
Gruns

yesnomu

First Post
Maybe by RAW, but I can't think of a DM that'd be enough of a jerk to disallow it.

Nice find, OP!

weem

First Post
After looking at this for a while and writing some stuff out, it is this initial description of the Ruthless Ruffian that cuts all other investigations short...

RUTHLESS RUFFIAN (Martial Power)----------
You are proficient with the club and the mace, and you can use those weapons with Sneak Attack or any rogue power that normally requires a light blade. If you use a club or a mace to deliver an attack that has the rattling keyword, add your Strength modifier to the damage roll.

To me, this pretty clearly states that if you use those weapons (and those weapons only, otherwise more would be listed), then you can sneak attack with those two weapons, or use a rogue power with those two weapons that would otherwise require a light blade.

The Belt description says "Make improvised attacks (included unarmed attacks) as if you were armed with a club."

"as if you were"... aka you aren't armed with a club. I would not rule that when you fight in a way that would equate to club damage, you are indeed fighting with a club. You need to make that jump in order to make this all work, and it's not a jump I would make - and I think that is why it is worded this way "As if you were" - they are basically saying "you aren't wielding a club".

"As if you were" armed with a club DOES NOT EQUAL being armed with a club.

That is how I read it currently in my highly distracted state. My mind could be changed for sure if I saw something more I might be missing, but at the moment I don't see it.

IF you get by this point, nothing else I see prevents this from working as the OP is stating. I in fact have that particular argument written out, but at this point it doesn't mean much so I have kept it out.

---edit---

BTW - If I had a player that wanted to use this as the OP intended, I would allow it. I just don't think the rules intend it to be this way.

Last edited:

Remove ads