• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Uncanny Vanishing feat

KnightFever

First Post
I've created this new feat with the Blink power of the Warcraft 3 hero Warden in mind. Any comment (under or overpowered ?) is welcome.

Uncanny Vanishing [General]
You can convert one of your highest spell into short teleport

Prerequisite: Combat casting, able to cast 3rd level arcane spells
Benefit: As a move action which doesn't provoke attack of opportunity, you can expand one of your highest prepared spell or spell slot to teleport you on a short distance as the Dimension Door spell except that the range is close and you cannot bring additional creatures.

Brain

First Post
1. It should probably be a standard action instead of a move.

2. The wording is a bit vague. What if you only have 1st level spells/slots left? Can you then use those slots to teleport around?

ARandomGod

First Post
Brain said:

2. The wording is a bit vague. What if you only have 1st level spells/slots left? Can you then use those slots to teleport around?

I agree, according to 3.X standardization it should be a standard action. In fact, all moves like this generally are a standard action wherein you also cannot take any other actions that round after doing it. To prevent a person porting somewhere and then doing something at the new place.

You probably should make a difference in distance as to how far you can port with each spell level slot. For a good guideline there is a first level spell that can move a target 5 foot... and a second level one that I think is 15 feet. There's a third level psion power that is.... 30 feet I think? (That's one's called "dimensional slide" I think).

Of course, you may be looking for one where the person CAN do things after porting, like port in and attack, or attack and port out. But that would be an ability that's been specifically avoided, and that's had text written just for the purpose of denying that ability.

For one feat it's too powerful. You might be able to build a nice PrC around it. Or maybe even a feat chain...

KnightFever

First Post
Brain said:
ARandomGod said:
I agree, according to 3.X standardization it should be a standard action. In fact, all moves like this generally are a standard action wherein you also cannot take any other actions that round after doing it. To prevent a person porting somewhere and then doing something at the new place.

Of course, you may be looking for one where the person CAN do things after porting, like port in and attack, or attack and port out. But that would be an ability that's been specifically avoided, and that's had text written just for the purpose of denying that ability.

Well, it was what I had in mind, teleporting and striking in the same round at the expense of a highest level spell/slot (the highest spell/slot you could cast according to your level and not your highest remaining spell so a 8th level sorcerer with none 4th level spell slots left could'nt use this feat any more). I did'nt know that this kind of ability has been specifically denyed in 3.x.

ARandomGod said:
For one feat it's too powerful. You might be able to build a nice PrC around it. Or maybe even a feat chain...

It was my first idea : the blinker PrC...

Thanks for the feedback.

Scion

First Post
As a sort of reference:

SRD:
Dimension Slide
Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Psychic warrior 3
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: You; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Power Points: 5
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range to which you have line of sight. You can bring along possessions that amount to as much as a medium load, including living creatures that weigh as much as 20 pounds. Movement caused by the use of dimension slide does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
If you somehow attempt to transfer yourself to a location occupied by a solid body or a location you can’t see the power simply fails to function.
Augment: If you spend 4 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a move action.

So, a feat that allows someone to swap out a slot of 5th level or higher as a move action to go a short distance doesnt sound horrible really. Especially with the horrible prereq of combat casting.

Corlon

First Post
so as you go up in level, it becomes harder to use the same ability?

Why not just make a new spell that's a 4th or 5th level spell, that is like dimension door but can transport almost nothing and has pretty much no range, and is usable as a move action.

It might be a bit powerful, if so, up the level. I think this stays true to the magic system, rather than giving people abilities through feats.

ARandomGod

First Post
Corlon said:
so as you go up in level, it becomes harder to use the same ability?

Why not just make a new spell that's a 4th or 5th level spell, that is like dimension door but can transport almost nothing and has pretty much no range, and is usable as a move action.

It might be a bit powerful, if so, up the level. I think this stays true to the magic system, rather than giving people abilities through feats.

I think this is the best idea. Make a spell, I'd say fourth is likely good enough, but maybe fifth, and then have a feat that allows you to spontaniously convert other spells of higher level into that spell (Equal level or higher if you make it a fifth level spell).

Remove ads