Unconverted generic 2nd Edition creatures

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
The land lamprey is in Tome of Horrors and is a conversion of the 1st edition monsters. (If you're counting conversions from Planewalker and other websites, the first Tome should be counted too.)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
GrayLinnorm said:
The land lamprey is in Tome of Horrors and is a conversion of the 1st edition monsters. (If you're counting conversions from Planewalker and other websites, the first Tome should be counted too.)
Tome of Horrors definitely counts! Well spotted... I'll cut the Land Lamprey from the list.

The rule of thumb I'm using for these lists is that any official conversion counts, and any unofficial conversion that specifically claims to be an update of a previous published D&D creature counts too. So the Creature Catalog, Tome of Horrors and Planewalker count, but the Tome of Horrors 2 and 3 unfortunately don't.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Mortis said:
Don't know how similar it is but there is a Mystaran war dog here
They're both medium animals called "War Dog". Good enough for me :D.

Mortis said:
Hmmmm... I've steered clear of counting conversions posted only on message boards so far, given their relative impermanence. And I'm not sure about the Book of Beasts either, since it doesn't claim to contain updates of D&D creatures, but seems to rather be a collection of fantasy and realm world critters the authors developed from scratch. (But thanks for the link -- that's a great PDF!)

Of course, as I type this, I do realise that my criteria for counting something as updated are pretty arbitrary. What does everyone else think? Should creatures updated on messageboards be counted, or is requiring them to have a specific web page sensible? What about sources that don't claim to be updates (like Tomb of Horrors 2 and 3 and the Book of Beasts). Should they get counted?

Mortis

First Post
Echohawk said:
Of course, as I type this, I do realise that my criteria for counting something as updated are pretty arbitrary. What does everyone else think? Should creatures updated on messageboards be counted, or is requiring them to have a specific web page sensible? What about sources that don't claim to be updates (like Tomb of Horrors 2 and 3 and the Book of Beasts). Should they get counted?
Well its your project... :p

Seriously, IMHO as long as the creature is obviously based on an existing creature (ie same name! same HD etc) I would count it. I agree that messageboards can be troublesome (which is why I wait for creatures to be uploaded to Pandius or the Creature Catalog before I include them in my Mystara creature index.) but at least they are a source of information.

Regards
Mortis

Gothenem

Explorer
Wow, Swanmay is still on the list.

It is a Prestige Class in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Elf, Rockseer and Bloodsipper are now on the CC forums.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Actually, "Swanmay, Bird Maiden" is still on the list. Those are Zakharan relations of the vanilla swanmay. I don't think they've appeared anywhere since the Monstrous Manual.

I've taken the Rockseer elves out, thanks. But I can't seem to find the CC version of the Bloodsipper -- do you have a link?

Gothenem

Explorer
Hmm, It seems bloodsipper is still waiting to be updated.

Ahh well.

I recall and Ant swarm from somewhere. I wish I had a better memory. I think it is in The Realms Bestiary Volume 2.

Remove ads