• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unconverted Vermin

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Worms
Sand Worm [Wizard's Spell Compendium, Volume Three]
Tube Worm, Giant, Carnivorous [Dragon 190]
Tube Worm, Giant, Common [Dragon 190]

Other potential vermin
Beetle Swarm [Night of the Seven Samurai]
Bloodring [Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One]
Fleas of Madness [Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III: Creatures of Darkness]
Gossamer, Noble [Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II]
Hornet, Giant [Monstrous Compendium Volume One]
Krackseam [Dragon 34]
Mortiss [Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix]
Polyroach, Giant [Dragon Annual 3]
Powerslug [Dragon 259]
Scorpion [Creature Catalog (DMR2)]
Scorpion, Monarch [Rary the Traitor (WGR3)]
Seastar [Dragon 89 [Creature Catalog insert]]
Tick, Coin [Dragon 34]
Tick, Heart [Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One]
Volheller [Dragon 108]

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk,

We've finished the Jumping Spider. The "Large Jumping Spider" is too similar to warrant a separate conversion.

Upon review, we found the Net-Throwing/Fishing Spider [Dragon #67] and Giant Wolf Spider [Dragon #67] too similar to the standard monstrous spiders to necessitate conversions.

When looking at the original text, the following spiders are intelligent, and thus probably need to go to the magical beasts pile:

Bolas Spider, Giant [Dragon #118]
Xakhun, Doomspider [Dragon #244]
Xakhun, Drop Spider [Dragon #244]
Xakhun, Leaping Sword Spider [Dragon #244]
Xakhun, Spider Rigger [Dragon #244]

I do not have a copy of DMR2 - Creature Catalog (ironic, eh?), so if you think the giant hunting spider is unique enough to be converted, please post the stats.

Thanks!

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Here is the entry for the giant hunting spider. I've also updated the rest of the list.

Giant Hunting Spider

Armor Class: 8
Hit Dice: 2 (M)
Move: 120' (40')
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d6
No. Appearing: 1d4 (1d12)
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 7 (wild), 8 (tamed)
Treasure Type: Up
Intelligence: 0
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 20

Hunting spiders are fur-covered spiders the size of dogs and are used as watch-animals and hunters in several primitive societies. They may be found in any terrain, arctic to tropical, and the fur of any individual will match its normal surroundings.

In the wild, hunting spiders run in packs to bring down their prey. They do not build webs, but stalk their prey over almost any terrain, and attack with large but nonpoisonous jaws.

Cleon

Legend
Great list Echohawk, but shouldn't we switch this discussion over to Converting "Real-World" Animals and Vermin, since so many of them are Monstrously Big versions of natural creepy-crawlies?

The Rigger Spider shade mentioned was basically a standard AD&D giant orb spider that knew how to operate sails. It could easily be converted by awakening a Large Monstrous Web Spider (and yes, I do know awaken doesn't work on Vermin - it must be a secret variant spell known to the drow!), then adding a Chaotic Evil alignment and using its new Int 10 to give it maxed-out ranks in Profession (sailor) and Use Rope.

The Giant Hunting Spider doesn't look much different from a regular Medium Hunting Spider that lacks venom.

Guess we could make it an animal-intelligence Magical Beast so it can be trained. We'd need to add a Good Reflex save (+6) and BAB (add 1 to BAB, grapple and attacks) plus ten-sided HD (2d10+2 with 13 hp) for its Magical Beast levels and some skill ranks (Hide 2, Spot 3?) and a feat (Weapon Focus (bite) for bite attack +6?) for its Int 1.

That just leaves the CR - it's lost its venom and immunity to mind-affecting spells, but gains some better stats. I think I'd leave it CR1.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hey, Cleon, the discussion of the conversions is in the thread you mention. Echohawk just put the stats here to keep the conversion thread from getting cluttered. As you saw, already converting there!

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
We've finished...

Beetles
Diving Beetle [Dragon #250]
Stink Beetle [Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Three]
Tiger Beetle [Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game]

Other
Bumblebee [Monstrous Manual]
Clam, Giant, Carnivorous Scallop [Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four]
Fly, Bluebottle [Monstrous Manual]
Fly, Horsefly [Monstrous Manual]

thastygliax

First Post
I'm not sure how they compare power-level-wise with the 2E version, but Green Ronin's Creatures of Freeport includes a crab swarm (HD 5, CR 2).

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure how they compare power-level-wise with the 2E version, but Green Ronin's Creatures of Freeport includes a crab swarm (HD 5, CR 2).

These "Unconverted" threads are for keeping a list of the creatures we haven't converted, so we shouldn't really be cluttering them up with comparisons, which really belong in a "converting X" thread.

I'd think the Crab Swarm belongs to the Converting Greyhawk monsters thread, although there is a case for the Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin thread.

We've just finished a conversion on the Greyhawk thread, so you could post a proposal to start the Crab Swarm there.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-converting-real-world-animals-vermin-58.html

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads