Undead Servant

Animus

Explorer
Undead Servant
A 1st-level necromancer using this variant can begin play with an undead servant (a
human warrior skeleton). Obtaining this servant takes 24 hours and uses up magical
materials that cost 100 gp.

This creature is a loyal servant that follows the necromancer's commands and accompanies
him on adventures if desired. If the undead servant is destroyed, the necromancer
suffers no ill effects and may replace it by performing a ceremony identical to the one
that allowed him to obtain his first servant.

At 1st level, the skeleton is completely typical, but it gains power as the necromancer
gains levels. Consult the table below for details.
Code:
Necromancer	HD	NA bonus	Str Bonus	Special
Level
1-2		1	+0		+0		-
3-4		2	+1		+1		-
5-6		3	+1		+1		-
7-8		4	+2		+2		-
9-10		5	+2		+2		-
11-12		6	+3		+3		-
13-14		7	+3		+3		-
15-16		8	+4		+4		-
17-18		9	+4		+4		-
19-20		10	+5		+5		-
A necromancer using this variant permanently gives up the ability to obtain a familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:

orsal

LEW Judge
Animus said:
Undead Servant
A 1st-level necromancer using this variant can begin play with an undead servant (a
human warrior skeleton). Obtaining this servant takes 24 hours and uses up magical
materials that cost 100 gp.

Why only beginning play? What if the character doesn't begin play as a wizard, but multiclasses later, or does start as a wizard/necromancer but doesn't want to get a servant until after she's made a little money to cover the cost? A wizard isn't ordinarily required to begin play with a familiar; why should the undead servant be any different?

Suggested rewording:
A necromancer may choose to substitute the ability to summon an undead servant for the ability to summon a familiar. The choice must be made when the character takes her first necromancer level, and cannot be changed later.

Bront

The man with the probe
A Skeleton has significant advantage over an Animal companion (up to 20d12 HD), a good NA bonus, can use equipment, and the +10 strength is nothing to sneeze at either.

I think this needs to be a feat that allows you to substitute this for a fam, and evne then I'd be wary.

Of course, getting destroyed by a friendly cleric has potential problems as well.

Animus

Explorer
Bront said:
A Skeleton has significant advantage over an Animal companion (up to 20d12 HD), a good NA bonus, can use equipment, and the +10 strength is nothing to sneeze at either.

I think this needs to be a feat that allows you to substitute this for a fam, and evne then I'd be wary.

Of course, getting destroyed by a friendly cleric has potential problems as well.

I used a class feature from UA to write this. How about this: HD = half caster level, NA = 1/4 caster level, Str = 1/4 caster level. That would tone it down enough to be an viable class feature wouldn't it?
orsal said:
Why only beginning play? What if the character doesn't begin play as a wizard, but multiclasses later, or does start as a wizard/necromancer but doesn't want to get a servant until after she's made a little money to cover the cost? A wizard isn't ordinarily required to begin play with a familiar; why should the undead servant be any different?

Suggested rewording:

A necromancer may choose to substitute the ability to summon an undead servant for the ability to summon a familiar. The choice must be made when the character takes her first necromancer level, and cannot be changed later.

Thinking about it, that does make sense. Anything else?

Bront

The man with the probe
Animus said:
I used a class feature from UA to write this. How about this: HD = half caster level, NA = 1/4 caster level, Str = 1/4 caster level. That would tone it down enough to be an viable class feature wouldn't it?
I think that works a bit better. You could probably give it it's own table along the lines of the Familiar table, as it might get a few special powers. (Things appropriate, maybe share spell, evasion, some equipment training, turning resistance, things like that).

The first option worked more like having a Cohort, only potentialy better. This makes it a bit more subserviant and flavorful. Do be careful though, because since it can use equipment it can still be fairly powerful.

Animus

Explorer
OK,

The idea that I had was that the undead servant would be the leader of the necromancer's undead army. Some equipment training would be appropriate. Anything else might put it back into the realm of overpowered.

Bront

The man with the probe
Well, they nuked the Leadership feat to not allow for it in LEW, so not sure how they're going to look at an undead army, but we'll see what the judges say :)

Animus

Explorer
I'm not introducing this for players per se, but I know it needs to be balanced for PCs to use. There is some NPC out there who I want to flavor up for this world as much as possible.

Velmont

First Post
You can have the Leadreship feta, but the follower cannot come with you in adventure, but they exist and are only there for background. So you could have an army of undead protecting your manor, but they won't come with you.

Rinaldo have the leadership feat, he should have soon his cohort (I asked my present DM to introduce it in play...) and his follower, once he will have some, will be his employees for his shop.

I think you could propose undead cohort (Ex: a ghoul?) or undead familiar (Ex: tiny squelletal mouse.)

Manzanita

First Post
I think this idea has good flavor to it. I think the undead cohort should be no more powerful than a druid's animal companion of the same level, unless there were other sacrifices the wizard had to make to get it.

Rinaldo's co-hort, by the way, is still in the script...

Remove ads