Undead Servant

Knight Otu

First Post
Animus said:
I used a class feature from UA to write this. How about this: HD = half caster level, NA = 1/4 caster level, Str = 1/4 caster level. That would tone it down enough to be an viable class feature wouldn't it?
That sounds more reasonable. Comparing to the druid's animal companion, I'd say Hit Dice could be increased to 3/4 caster level, though.

(As a side note, I've been thinking whether some of these class features could work as feats.)

Bront

The man with the probe
Improved Familiar is an SRD feat, right? If so, perhaps the Skeleton could be an alternate Improved Familiar, simply using slightly different rules.

Knight Otu

First Post
The skeleton being a familiar has a few consequences that this variant wouldn't have (such as Intelligence). I don't know what exactly Animus needs, so I don't know whether these consequences would be welcome or not.

Animus

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
The skeleton being a familiar has a few consequences that this variant wouldn't have (such as Intelligence). I don't know what exactly Animus needs, so I don't know whether these consequences would be welcome or not.

I envision an undead servant to act as an bodyguard for a certain BBEG. There was a time that I was thinking of having it be intelligent, but that's not necessary.

Xael

First Post
More intelligent undead = Good.

Or maybe Evil, but in this case evil is good.

The Skeletal Minion seems a lot more powerful than normal familiar (though this might just be because familiars generally suck) so requiring some kind of a feat might be a good idea. Improved Familiar of Leadership look like good starting points.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
I vote YES.

...but what's with all the proposals for evil characters?

Also, showing up in the RDI or any populated area with your pet skeleton is an invitation to law enforcement attention, not to mention possible pvp. If you choose to go this route and are silly enough to let people see your undead minion, you ought to be stuck with the likelihood that a same level cleric will likely destroy your pet skeleton out of hand with a single turning attempt.

Animus

Explorer
For the record, the reason why I proposed what I did is for an NPC that I'm statting up. I personally never play evil characters, but I wanted something to add a little flavor to a BBEG, that's all.

Patlin

Explorer
Animus said:
For the record, the reason why I proposed what I did is for an NPC that I'm statting up. I personally never play evil characters, but I wanted something to add a little flavor to a BBEG, that's all.

No problem... but also, be aware that a DM doesn't *need* to make proposals for things appearing in his adventures which are not being taken out of them. For example, the characters in Tournament of Flowers II just recently defeated a Knight from the new PHB II. Definitely not an approved LEW class.

Erekose13

Explorer
I like the flavor of this. I know that there are a few characters with some connection to the undead, that would like this style of character. I think that the change to lower hp and stuff is good. Players choosing this route would have to watch out for the social implications as noted.

Overall, its a yes from me too.

Remove ads