• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Under Strange Stars II

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil glances over at Calzada.

"If we're leaving, we hardly need to bother with water right now. I don't see much reason for us to stick around and get eaten by giant hatchlings. So we may as well make it back down the mountain side and see if we can't hold off the cyclopses long enough to get the ship patched enough to limp somewhere else. I say we see if there's anything light and salvageable on the intact ship and then hoof it."

Ashy

First Post
Someone said:
(seriously, what did you expect?)

OOC: Uh, I don't know - maybe a tossed bone for thinking creatively? Mother birds, generally speaking, can hear the peeping of their young over vast distances. I was hoping that maybe this would work out in a similar fashion. Perhaps I am just uber-dense, but I having a tough time figuring out exactly what we should do. It seems that every avenue we take leads to a dead end... :( Given our situation, we are quickly running out of options...

Someone

Adventurer
Menghil takes a look out of the cave and seeing the way free, heads carefully for the ship (if anyone want to go with him, post so). He´s able to reach it without problem, confirming that moving it few feet would make it fall in the wide crevasse.

Additionally, from his new point of view, he can see the rock wall with more detail, specially the part where the water flows through. To his dwarven senses, it´s not as solid as it seems: the water must find it´s way from the lake at the top of the mountain -that must be really a volcano, not that you think on it- though caves and hidden faults.

Zerth

First Post
"I want to see the ship as well. I am coming with you, Menghil," Amira says when the giant chicks are gone. Razeem follows her mistress, as usual.

At the ship Amira tells Razeem to fly inside it and take a closer look, what's in there.

Someone

Adventurer
The mephit returns soon, telling everything´s ok. Flying at the two adventurer´s level, he says that the ship hasn´t suffered serious damage -in fact, it´s made from a precious, almost legendary wood you´ve seen counted times. Ships made of it are said to be able to stand crashes and even the pressure of being trapped in ice without break. This ship, slightly smaller than the Jolly Dolphin, must cost a fortune. The sails are gone and the ropes are a lost cause, but otherwise it´s in very good condition.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil looks over the boat and the rock wall with interest.

[ooc - what happens to the water in the crevase after the plateau edge? Waterfall to a river below? How deep is the boat likely to float in water, is it only seaworthy, or could it navigate a river?]

Someone

Adventurer
You´d say it´s and ancient lava river bed; things like this are likely to run far. For what you can see, it goes beyond the plateau, into the flank of the mountain, but you can´t see beyond.

Ships are rarely built so heavy that they can´t sail rivers; most of them must be able to reach beaches with ease (because of the nature of the infinite sea, ships so heavy that they must rely in deep ports are rare). That´s even more true for an empty ship like this one.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil gets a very strange gleam in his eyes and begins looking quickly between the boat, crevice and mountainside.

[ooc - DM plan feasability question - Could we. . . Either lever the boat or have the hatchlings attack us inside the boat giving it that nudge to push it into the crevase and then attempt to ride the thing down the side of the mountain, hoping that it will eventually hit water that connects to the sea?]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil will hurry back to the others gesturing for Amira and Razeem to accompany him.

"Okay, feel free to call me insane, but I think I have an idea. If we can get the boat in the crevase, and get water in the crevase, we might just have a path out of here. The question is, will the water come if we can knock down that wall? I think it might."

Here he points to the wall from which the water flows.

"Then we're left with the questions of how to destroy the wall, how to move the boat and which do we do first? Drop the boat then flood the crevase using the onrush of water to push us is my thought. Opinions?"

Remove ads