• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Under strange stars

Synchronicity

First Post
Ormazd the Inscrutable, a careful and paranoid man.

"Ormazd concurs, Captain. It very much appears as if some evil fate has befallen worthy Kyot. It seems that this group attracts the attention of dark forces as moths swarm to a flame."

Ormazd chants briefly in the language of magic, and arcane runes momentarily shimmer in the air in front of him. (Cast Shield spell; AC rises to 20, touch 13, flat-footed 18.) Scanning the area, Ormazd looks for anyone nearby showing more than usual interest in the group, standing back and allowing the others to enter before him. He draws no weapon.

Someone

Adventurer
Fearing maybe carbon monoxide poisoning, Amira cleans the boat´s hold/living quarters with a powerful gust of wind. This has the undesirable result of making a mess of all the papers, tools and many other things in Kyot´s floating house, that appears after Amira´s spell like if well... if a tornado had danced in it. Meanwhile, Ormaz scans the quiet boat village and casts his spell, but he notes nothing.

That includes the paper Al-Khazad was eyeing. Ripped from the table, the captain locates it under a fallen book. It reads:

"This paper will explode in ten seconds"

Ka-booom!

A huge explosion shakes the boat! Flaming cinders fly high in the sky and fall all around the boat. Amira falls on top of Al-Khazad, while Ormaz and Shin´nairo, displaying unnatural reflexes (honed by a healthy dose of paranoia, in the sorcerer´s case) manage to jump out of the just formed hole. The adventuring captain just managed to throw the paper behind the table, and that´s the reason he´s still alive, but badly burned.

A somewhat muffled voice sounds: "I lied..."

[OOC: Al-Khazad received 25 damage from a decaffeinated (rolled bad) set of empowered Explosive Runes (no save) Now, Kyot´s boat has two large holes, in the higher deck and one side; Amira failed his ST and fell through the hole and suffered 1 point of damage. Shin´nairo and Ormaz both rolled 20´s :uhoh: and are now safe in the upper deck. More to come this afternoon, I have to finish some details!]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
“...I lied.” says a man (or humanoid, at least). Wields a carved ebony staff, and dresses in rich dark clothing; you can almost see the contemptuous grin behind his wooden plain mask. At his side, twirling a chain ended in a spiked ball* there´s a man clad in a black and red breastplate. You feel something wrong with his presence here, but you don´t know what´s it.

They´re not alone. A group of the savage nomad beastmen** from beyond the desert come out from their hideouts and slowly move towards you. You count six of them right now, all sporting curves blades of brutish desing, stout throwing axes and cruel smiles.

“You survived my trap? Even when the explosion was bigger than I expected.” the voice says from behind the mask “So you´re as hard to kill as I was said. Let´s test how actually how much!” And then arcane words start flowing...

[OOC: *treat as spiked chain
**Treat them as half-orcs, both in stats and appearance. They have forged a reputation as thugs, and are used by those unscrupulous enough to not worry if they kill, maim or simply beat their victims. They´re wearing studded leather armor

This post means a fight, boys and girls! Initiative goes as follows:

First, Amira´s yet unnamed air mephit
Beastmen thugs
Al-Khazad
Masked spellcaster
Shin-Nairo (rolled a 1!)
Guy with the spiked chain
Ra (Al-Khazad´s hawk)
Ormaz
Amira

No one is flatfooted, but you have other problems. As I said in the previous post, the explosion blew out a good chunk of the ship´s deck, boards and the stairs, so you´re in a burning husk that´s sinking rather quickly, but because of the ties to the neighbouring ships it won´t go to the bottom (soon). In case Amira or Al-Khazad want to jump into the water, they can do so through the hole in the ship´s side; climbing or jumping to the upper deck isn´t too difficult thanks to the furniture and bundles of books.

Map explanation: The things with squares are supposed to be ships. You are currently in the central one (Kyot´s), that as you can see, has a large hole in it (the slightly darker squares are the lower level). The upper deck is about 7 feet higher than the ship´s hold. I supposed Ra to be flying high, so it doesn´t appear on the map, but can descend in any square in one round. Amira and Al-Khazad can´t see any enemies from their current position.

Status: Al-Khazad 44 hp/69 max; Amira 44/45; Ormaz 47/47; Shin´nairo 70/70; Ra 14/14; Mephit 23/23. Ormaz has Shield active (+4AC)

Deadline is friday, 4:00 pm board time]

Attachments

• boatsf.jpg
    boatsf.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Razeem, Air Mephit Extraordinaire!

Razeem, Amira's Air mephit friend, is first to react to the explosion, that hurled him backwards several feet, before he regained his balance in the air. The small air creature acts instinctively and uses his blur ability, before flying back to see, how his mistress is doing. "Mistress, how are you, are you hurt?" the mephit yells worriedly.

(OOC: Razeem used spell-like ability Blur and flied above Kyot's ship. I'll wait and see, what the others do, before posting Amira's actions, since I'm last in initiative.)

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Al-Khazad (note this is the correct name, we were all wrong, I just checked the character sheet.) calls upon nature to protect him from fire."

OOC:cast resist energy:fire.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: since I have enough info of your actions, there´s no reason not to post the start of it, so those low in the initiative count can see what´shappening. I´ll post the story hour version of the round and the updated map once the round is complete.

I know well is Al-khazad, but sometime al-khazid appears. The computer imp that changes rogue into rouge and hoard into horde must be the culprit.

Razeem casts Blur with no problem and moves over the damaged ship.

The beastmen/half orcs:

#1,5 move and throw their axes at Ormaz, #6,4 at Shin´nairo. Ormaz is hit for 8 HP of damage despite the shield spell, Shin´nairo evades both hits. #2,3 down potions and start flying, now Ormaz is flanked; the only way he can cast without making a Concentration check or drawing Aoo is jumping down the lower deck or into the water.

Al-Khazad casts Resist Energy (fire) without problem.

The spellcaster casts Baleful Polymorph (Ormaz recognizes it) on Shin´nairo. Oops, she fails the ST and is now a bunny, and worse, acts as a bunny and thinks like one.

Shin´nairo jumps around.

The man with the spiked chain readies an action.

New initiative is:

Ra
Ormaz
Amira
Razeem
Beastmen thugs
Al-Khazad
Masked spellcaster
Shin-Nairo
Guy with the spiked chain

Status: Al-Khazad 44 hp/69 max; Amira 44/45; Ormaz 38/47; Shin´nairo 70/70; Ra 14/14; Razeem 33/33 (corrected). Active spells: Ormaz Shield, Al-Khazad Resist Energy (fire), Razeem Blur, Shin´nairo is Polymorphed.

Synchronicity

First Post
Ormazd the Inscrutable, between the beastmen and the deep blue sea

Ormazd raises an eyebrow at his attackers.
"Hmm."
With that, the wily sorcerer leaps off the ship and into the water! As he begins to sink, Ormazd mutters a spell; his skin takes on a distinct blueish tinge, his ears elongate, and gills appear on his neck. Ormazd treads water, contemplating his next action.

(Jump into the water [move action]; Necklace of Adaptation means I can breath and spellcast underwater without problems; cast Alter Self [standard action]; change form into an aquatic elf. (Gain ability to breathe water, 30ft swim speed. Alter Self does not change abilities scores. As the new form is the same size and rough shape as my normal form, I retain my equipment.)

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Amira, fallen Princess

"I'll survive, Razeem, help the others," Amira answer's to the mephit and turns her attention to the wounded Al-Khazad. She mutters ancient words of Auran and the ranger feels a pleasant breeze around him, blowing away the pain from the explosion.

(OOC: Cast Cure Serious Wounds on Al-Khazad, healing him 3d8+6. Swapped Searing Light for the cure spell.)

rangerjohn

Explorer
"My thanks milady." Al-Khazad says on recieving the gift of healing. "Now how should we join the others?" I climb without problem, yourself?"

Remove ads