• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Underwater Adventures!

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Quippers immune to being frightened.
Kaeldos Not so lucky, rolled a 10 total

Swarm #1 atk Merrow #5 w/advantage
[roll0], or [roll1]
[roll2]

Swarm #2 atk Merrow #6 w/advantage
[roll3], or [roll4]
[roll5]

"Get those two! Help Tai-Tai!" Kaeldos screams through the water, and even though the swarm of hungry fish don't know who Tai-Tai is they readily obey the druids command, circling around the evil-Merrow.

Worried about the spell caster Kaeldos moves around to put the fighting Merrow between him and whatever the creature is. With his view partially blocked he waves his free hand in a tight circle in front of him and then extends his arm to point at one of their assailants.

OOC: Move: 40' from the main fight with Tai-Tai
Action: cast Hold Person on Merrow #2 WIS save DC14
Bonus Action: none

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
They are large, can they crowd close enough to attack me all at the same time? I'll make better post in the evening...

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: Wow, didn’t realize they were large. Which makes no sense because they were made from Merfolk, which are medium.

But it doesn’t matter. Yes, they can crowd you, because you’re in the water. They can go over and under. You don’t have 8 5ft squares around you, you have 26.

Neurotic

Good point. But large also means taking more space moving. There May be OA from another character and one I wounded might die. Also, we (the party) all moved forward to attack and maybe (we don't have a map) we are close enough to prevent at least one from passing through.

Only way I can prevent an attack is to use riposte maneuver on a miss and hope it kills the target thus preventing second attack. No instant action defenses. I have Lucky feat, but I cannot check at the moment if I can force re-roll on the enemy.

Finally, if I'm to be an example of announced lethality of the module, I'll need some time to create alternate character.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Yes, I can. Lucky feat: You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker's roll or yours.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Two extra misses, I'm barely alive :)

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: Hey! That’s awesome! And ones a Crit Fail, so I’ll say he accidentally speared his fellow.

But they’ve all got a good bit of health, so no ones dead yet.

And I wouldn’t say I was using you as an example, per se. Just a convenient pin cushion.

Also, anyone who speaks Abyssal can understand what the tentacle guy said.

Neurotic

[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], totaling several posts from above:
My first action was double attack for total of 18 damage on Merrow 1
On Merrow 1 miss: reaction + superiority die (SD) riposte
Riposte vs Merrow 1; damage; SD damage: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
1D6+6 = [5]+6 = 11
1D8 = [3] = 3
CRIT!
Crit bonus: 1D6 = [4] = 4

Total of 18 damage on Merrow 1
Assuming typical Merrow (roll20 says they have 42 HP), not enough to kill it to prevent the second attack and hit
Lucky roll 16 still hits 11 damage to Tai-Tai

Merrow 2 misses due to luck and naturally misses with his second
Merrow 3 misses with his first attack and critically misses the second due luck --> maybe he finishes #1 :)
Merrow 4 hits with both for 22 damage to Tai-Tai
Merrow 5 misses and hits for 11 damage to Tai-Tai
Merrow 6 misses and hits for 11 damage to Tai-Tai

Grand total:
Merrow 1 takes 36 damage from Tai-Tai
Tai-Tai takes 55 out of 58 HP;
he is still "standing" and running for his life (Cha Save: 1D20 = [6] = 6)
along with his plant friend (Cha Save: 1D20-2 = [7]-2 = 5 )

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Jamoar is surprised when the Merrow all swarm around Tai-Tai, slashing into him, though a couple of the swipes that nearly connected Tai-Tai is able to just dodge, their claws swiping through hair where it almost removed scalps. Snorting as one of the Merrow swipes into a companion, he quickly casts a spell and moves to within striking distance and unleashes a cone of lightning fury at the backs of a few of the Merrow surrounding Tai-Tai.

OOC:
EDIT: Forgot to include my save - Charisma Save vs. Fear/Frightened: 1d20+7 [27]
Move 15'
Bonus Action: Cast Dragon's Breath
Action: Breathe Dragon's Breath (Lightning) - 17 damage, 15' cone trying to hit 3 Merrorw or 4 if I can get them; DC 15 Reflex save for half, then swim back 15' to get to more than full move distance from some of them.
Move 15' back

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
As the last sahuagin throws his spear at Perilor, the sea elf takes the hit in order to counterattack the foul creature, a powerful leg kicking out but just missing the creature's head.

Then a powerful voice rings inside the elf's head, and it triggers something primal. Fear.

"Stop- stop that one!" Perilor whispers loudly, then manages to focus his mind and evoke a secret trick taught only to the most disciplined sea elf soldiers: the Stilling of the Water.

The water surrounding the tentacled man becomes completely still and silent, hushing the words that seconds before frightened Perilor so.

OOC: Opportunity attack (unarmed) on sahuagin: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage
Cha save: [roll2]

Frightened condition (disadvantage on ability checks and attacks, cannot voluntarily move closer)
Use Ki points to cast Silence (Shadow Arts, concentration, 2 ki points), targeted on the kraken priest. No save :)

[sblock=Ministats]
AC 17
HP 41/45
Ki points spent 3/6
Ki save DC 14

Ki options:
Flurry Of Blows, 1 ki point, bonus action: Two unarmed strikes after attacking with unarmed or monk weapon.
Patient Defense, 1 ki point, bonus action: Dodge.
Step Of The Wind, 1 ki point, bonus action: Disengage or Dash, double jump distance.
Stunning Strike, 1 ki point, part of attack action: Target makes Constitution save or be stunned.
Shadow Arts, 2 ki points, action: Cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass Without Trace, or Silence.

Cantrip known: Minor Illusion (Shadow Arts; DC 14)[/sblock]

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underwater
Morning
Round 1

Initiative: 1D20-1 = [16]-1 = 15

Charisma save: 1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20

Corus saw Tai-Tai get swarmed and swam to help him. He surged up on the Merrow. He laid into the merrow with his trident.

[sblock=Actions]
Saves:
Move:
Action (Extra Attack): 2 attacks
Trident attack: 1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24
1D8+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
1D8+4 = [4]+4 = 8

Bonus:
Free:
Reaction: Opportunity attack
Trident attack: 1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
https://ddb.ac/characters/3088594/zuPvjH
AC: 19
HP: 52/52 HD: 6/6d10+2
Initiative: -1
PP: 10
PI: 10

Channel Divinity (1/R, DC 13)
  • Nature’s Wrath
  • Turn the Faithless

Divine Sense: 3/LR
Lay on Hands: 20/30

Spells
Divine Smite: 2d8 radiant+1d8/spell level higher than 1st (max 5d8)+1d8 vs fiends/undead
1) 4/4: Bless (C), Compelled Duel (BA, C), Cure Wounds, Ensnaring Strike (BA, C), Fog Cloud (C)(1/LR), Speak with Animals (R)
2) 2/2: Aid, Gust of Wind (C) (1/LR); Misty Step (BA); Moonbeam (C)
3) 0/0: Wall of Water (C)(1/LR)
4) 0/0: Dominate Beast (C, DC 15, beast with innate swim speed, 3 charges; recover 1d3/dawn)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
Treasure hunting in undersea city
What killed the leviathan?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Kaeldos Nalorn - Triton druid (land)
Jamoar Gallentra - Half-elf storm sorcerer
Tai-Tai - Water genasi battlemaster
Perilor Kelpwood - sea elf monk (shadows)
Stamr Cavehaven - dwarf rogue (scout)
Xander Corvus - half-elf hexblade
[/sblock]

Remove ads