• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undying Light Warlock versus Favored Soul Sorcerer

DonT

First Post
I am looking at an Undying Light Patron Pact of the Blade Warlock or a Favored Soul Sorcerous Origin Sorcerer, probably with the War Domain. Either way, I would start with a level of fighter and take the Great Weapon Fighting Style, usually using a maul, and using the new Green Flame Blade Cantrip. Which of these do you think would make the better gish character? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
First of all, is your DM allowing UA material?

That aside, Undying Light Warlock is generally considered very broken (particularly because of their Searing Vengeance). With their boost to the GFB cantrip (+Cha to all fire damage) Undying Light warlock is definitely the better choice IMO

Favoured Soul on the other hand, gets normal spellcasting progression, so factor that in to your decision if the spells that you cast matter. Another thing is what level you are going to in the adventure you are playing; Favoured Souls get healing at sorcerer level 18, and even if you don't get that far, wings at 14th. Also, since you seem to intend to be wading into melee, while sorcerer hit dice are lower, they get proficiency in medium armour for being a favoured soul. Warlocks only get light armour.

DonT

First Post
If I went with the Favored Soul Sorcerer, I would probably go Hill Dwarf for the extra hit points. The armor would be taken care of either way by the first level being fighter.

Kithas

First Post
Honestly on power alone it has to be the light warlock.
Which is sad because it just highlights how busted that class is.

Kithas

First Post
I realized my post didn't really add anything. So ill give some general gish advice.
Hill dwarf is awesome no matter which you choose. They don't get a speed penalty with heavy armor for having a low str score, so you can dump str. If you grab a shield and a staff for your arcane focus you can just use cantrips for your basic attacks, that way you don't even need a good Dex. Basically all you need is a good Con/Cha.
If you really want to do the "weapon attack" cantrips from scag, My advice would be to go pact of the Tome and steal Shillelagh from Druid, you can cast this on your staff letting you use your cha to hit and for damage!

DonT

First Post
My concept for this character involves him primarily fighting with a maul, so dumping strength isn't an option.

Momar

First Post
If you're planning to use great weapon fighting I'm not sure how much greenflame blade is really getting you once you're getting your second attack. (EDIT: Is your DM being super lenient and letting you reroll the extra damage from greenflame?) The sorcerer route lets you quicken GFB so you can still use it along with the extra attacks feature (although it's worth noting that as a war domain favored soul you'll get access to spiritual weapon, which gives you a more efficient but less damaging way to use bonus actions). Combined with getting spirit guardians that means you're going to be doing a lot more damage in melee as the sorcerer, at least as long as the resources last. Warlock has the extra attack as an optional feature, so if you're set on using your main action to use GFB it might feel less wasteful.

What role do you see your character playing in a party? The warlock is going to get access to some healing and damage mitigation later in their career, but as I said above the sorcerer is the better melee bruiser type damage output wise (depending on how willing you are to spend your resources on it).

Are you rolling for stats or point buy?

Last edited:

DonT

First Post
We haven't talked about whether I can reroll the damage from Green Flame Blade yet. We will have a very small party (possibly as small as two), so I wanted a character who could do more than one thing, both some melee fighting and some blasting. We rolled for stats. Before racial bonuses and not yet assigned to any particular attributes, I rolled
17, 17, 15, 11, 11.

Remove ads