• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Divine Domains

And, here's the direct link to the PDF http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Cleric.pdf Forge, Grave, and Protection domains...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Very true. Again, though...the features are very uninspiring to me, and they don't feel like something a Protection cleric would have. I can see the defense feature (disadvantage to an enemy attacking an ally), but the rest of it seems redundant or doesn't fit.

My feeling is that Protection was a set of mechanics they slapped a flavor on, whereas the other two have well grounded flavor...

Dunno if they wanted to differentiate it from Death toooo much, just make it less eeeeviiiil.

Good point on the spells...

I am pretty sure protection is just the less evil version of the war domain. Seems like a theme.....

And before anyone complains that "war isn't evil", if they named a Horseman after you, you ain't good.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I am sure that is what they did, but I figure it would be better to focus on "undead hunter cleric" than "My DM won't let me play a Death Domain cleric." That is what the survey will be for, and I won't be very upset when "Death Domain Jr." remains. I will probably refluff it as a Fate Domain: you die when you are supposed to die, and you stay dead if you are supposed to stay dead (and if you are supposed to be undead, go for it). Between 4e and Pathfinder, Death and Fate are pretty tied together.

Fate domain . . . I think I'm going to recommend it be renamed to this on next weeks survey. It really does fit better with some of the sub-class features.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am pretty sure protection is just the less evil version of the war domain. Seems like a theme.....

And before anyone complains that "war isn't evil", if they named a Horseman after you, you ain't good.

Less "Diet War," and more a hybrid between War and Life; an alternative War domain, to be sure, for different sorts of war gods...

I thought protection was a domain that existed in the playtest of 5e that didn't make the cut to the PHB.

Anyways I feel it's good that they do reference some of the deities that aren't exclusive to D&D worlds like Anubis, Hephaestus, and Odin.

For Forge domain, with it's +1 AC wearing heavy armour could, combined with multiclass fighter or paladin using defense fighting style, and shield and plate armour with blessing of the forge could lead to a really high AC. But I'm sure there's other multiclass combos that could get even more.

Overall I'm alright with this being a fiery tank.

Grave is for players who want a less evil Death cleric, but I don't know if I'm completely alright with this one being one of the more fighty domains (heavy armour plus divine strike). Maybe some of it's focus can go more towards being anti-undead beyond it's Circle of Mortality feature.

Protection domain is fine, I don't mind that it does draw some things that other classes may have. Blessed healer could become something else to make it more distinct from the Life domain.

This might be a little too 4e, but replacing Protection Domain's Blessed Healer with some kind of teleport ability that extends the range of shield of the faithful seems like it would fit a bit better.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Forge and Grave domain are interesting and useful.

Protection is awful. Focus more on the protection side of it rather than making it a mish-mash of different domains effects and an already horrible fighting style tacked on.

Remove ads

Remove ads