Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
IIRC, it can be one or the other, but not both, since the spell point progression in the DMG variant rules is slower than spell slot progression in the PHB.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not so happy about the Psi Point progression. 4 to 6 to 14 to 17 to 27? What the heck are they doing?
4 points is equal to 2+2; 2 L1 slots
6 points is equal to 2+2+2; 3 L1 slots
14 points is equal to 3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
17 points is equal to 3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
27 points is equal to 5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots

and so on.

It's an exact match to PHB spellcasters, and has been said above, it's nothing new - it's all been printed in the DMG already.

Look at it as a numeric way to show you exactly how much a spellcaster's power explode as she levels up through the first five levels.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Is it too much to ask that the pyschic warrior subclass gets a second attack? Like maybe at level 6 with the war bard or level 5 through a discipline choice like the warlock?

Also the level 10 feature is bizarre.....it costs 50 hp to get 5 points if you are level 10 but it costs 100 hp if you are level 20? Why does it get weaker as you get more powerful and as 5 points becomes a progressively smaller proportion of your total?

CapnZapp

Legend
IIRC, it can be one or the other, but not both, since the spell point progression in the DMG variant rules is slower than spell slot progression in the PHB.
Up until level ten, they're exactly identical.

PSI = Spellpoints = Spellcaster slot progression

(Not counting class features such as sorcery points etc, obvs)

4 points is equal to 2+2; 2 L1 slots
6 points is equal to 2+2+2; 3 L1 slots
14 points is equal to 3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
17 points is equal to 3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
27 points is equal to 5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
32 points is equal to 5+5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 3 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
38 points is equal to 6+5+5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 1 L4 slot + 3 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
44 points is equal to 6+6+5+5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L4 slots + 3 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
57 points is equal to 7+6+6+6+5+5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 1 L5 slot + 3 L4 slots + 3 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots
64 points is equal to 7+7+6+6+6+5+5+5+3+3+3+2+2+2+2; 2 L5 slot + 3 L4 slots + 3 L3 slots + 3 L2 slots + 4 L1 slots

At least they're using cantrips, and actual conditions like "charmed" this time around. And managed to get rid of that weird roll they had last time for one of the powers.

I still think for things that are really spell-like they should just write-up a spell.

With talents being pretty much like cantrips, I could see some of the PHB spellcasting classes getting subclasses to substitute talents instead of cantrips.

I like that they decided to go the "Divine Strike" method for making the Immortal Mystic more competitive in combat, rather than the extra attack route.

I wonder with removal of mentions of the Order of the Knife, if they're going into the route of other classes other than mystic.

SailorNash

Explorer
Generally I like it. I'll need to dig in a little deeper for better analysis, but three things jump out at me immediately:

1) Not fond of "free HP" being the benefit to stay within your discipline. For Immortals using combat powers it makes sense, but for Awakened using out-of-combat psychic powers socially to solve puzzles and mysteries it seems largely a waste.

2) I like know there's much greater flexibility when building characters - something as basic as Telepathy isn't forever locked away from all but Awakened - but I do kind of miss there being exclusive abilities. Maybe the grass is always greener, but I think I'd prefer an Awakened list, an Immortal list, and a General list.

3) Could use more cantrips, even as a playtest. With Awakened getting the two most necessary ones for free, you run out of choices there quick.

CapnZapp

Legend
Interesting...

I like the way they breakdown the powers into disciplines of related abilities. Not so happy about the Psi Point progression. 4 to 6 to 14 to 17 to 27? What the heck are they doing?
The way the points jump all over the play is actually a very interesting expression of how spellcaster power jumps in fits and starts.

Did you know that when you first level up, to 2nd level, your spellcasting prowess increases by exactly +50%?

While impressive, that's nothing compared to the level up to 3rd level, where you gain +133% power.

Then the level up to 4th level is the first slump, at +21%.

If you think the power increase picks up again when you reach 5th level, you'd be right: +59%!

Then, sadly, the fireworks are over. From now on, you gain roundabout 20% each level with the level up to 9th level placing last at a mere +12% increase (though access to fifth level spells is at least some consolation).

Vileo Sufora

First Post
The only thing different is that 6th level spells and above can only be cast once per day each (for obvious balancing issues). The progression itself, though, is exactly the same.

Another note, the "Psi Limit" column confirms this. The limit is equivalent to the spell point cost of the highest level spell slot a caster of the same level could cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads