Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I guess I'm one of the vocal few who thinks the Far Realm narrative is really unfit for psionics as a monolithic narrative choice.

I honestly am having trouble getting past it. Like, "Do you want to play a character whose mind has been awakened by the reality-warping powers of the Far Realm?" just seems like I shouldn't be using the class if I'm not really interested in a Far Realm focused game, which is a weakness that, say, Wizards and Rogues and Clerics and Fighters and Paladins don't have. It doesn't gel well with the pseudo-new-agey / 60's counterculture / "The Men Who Stare at Goats" vibes that psionics gives off in general, either. Narratives of psychic power in fiction come from human potential - "new" powers arising, evolution (like dark sun), breeding/genetics, monastic enlightment, "secret government programs," etc., etc.

Clearly, folks are cool with this, but my interest for the class pretty much bottoms out at any mention of the Far Realm. I don't want my dude who can read minds and enhance his own metabolism to have to be linked to some distant tentacled threat from beyond the stars. I'm cool with my Old One Warlocks doing it, but as a whole class, that's a pretty narrow narrative.

Colder

Explorer
I guess I'm one of the vocal few who thinks the Far Realm narrative is really unfit for psionics as a monolithic narrative choice.
I get where you're coming from. I guess I agree with you, but I'm also pretty alright with ignoring the parts of the fluff that don't suit me. It's served me well enough so far.

In other news, Mind Over Emotion's psychic focus kinda sucks. Due to the general "round down" rule, the most you can get out of that is a +2 bonus to your charisma checks. That's so lame! It should at least be half your Int mod rounded up.

Vileo Sufora

First Post
That lethal strike will make any melee attacker (with multiattacks) outburst any spellcaster. Am I wrong?
You're absolutely correct. I just did the math. Considering 10th level and single target damage, the Immortal Mystic can do a whopping average of 352 damage over 8 turns. This is considering the Order of the Immortal Cutting Resonance feature, a greatsword, 20 Strength and no multiclassing. For comparison, a Draconic Sorcerer (Fire dragon ancestry) at 10th level who uses Fireball as their action and quickens a Fire Bolt every turn possible (three 3rd level Fireballs, three 4th level Fireballs, and two 5th level Fireballs; 10 sorcery points, 2 points to quicken Fire Bolt 5 times, bonus action subsequently to burn a 2nd level slot to quicken another Fire Bolt on the 7th turn) does 354.5 damage total, on average.

This is with the Sorcerer using all possible resources available to them (all relevant spell slots, all available actions, and all sorcery points), and a frakking Fireball on every turn. In comparison, if I'm reading Mystic correctly, this is with the Mystic only using a main action every turn (Unless using Lethal Strike uses a bonus action to activate, and even still...). This isn't taking into account the +1 "magical" bonus for concentrating the Psionic Weapon discipline in the first place (that brings the total average number to 360 on a single target). This is without the aforementioned Extra Attack class feature.

EDIT: Updated to account for the Draconic Sorcerer Elemental Affinity feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me neither, I would like WotC to hold on to the "classic" psionic style from earlier editions. However, if they don't, I'm sure we'll see a reflavor on DM's Guild!

Whereas the "pseudo-science" is a large part of what turned me off of prior iterations of psionics, so I'm glad to see it gone. (Though I haven't had a chance to read through the PDF yet.)

Different strokes, etc. :)

Colder

Explorer
You're absolutely correct. I just did the math. Considering 10th level and single target damage, the Immortal Mystic can do a whopping average of 352 damage over 8 turns. This is considering the Order of the Immortal Cutting Resonance feature, a greatsword, 20 Strength and no multiclassing. For comparison, a Draconic Sorcerer (Fire dragon ancestry) at 10th level who uses Fireball as their action and quickens a Fire Bolt every turn possible (three 3rd level Fireballs, three 4th level Fireballs, and two 5th level Fireballs; 10 sorcery points, 2 points to quicken Fire Bolt 5 times, bonus action subsequently to burn a 2nd level slot to quicken another Fire Bolt on the 7th turn) does 354.5 damage total, on average.

On the other hand, the Immortal Mystic only does single-target damage. If we're talking about any case where there's more than one target, the Sorcerer trumps it soundly.

GobiWon

Explorer
How fast could a wood elf rogue, mystic move with cunning action, light step, surge of speed move? 2 Psi points seems a tiny price to pay for that much movement with no opportunity attacks. Am I wrong?

Vileo Sufora

First Post
On the other hand, the Immortal Mystic only does single-target damage. If we're talking about any case where there's more than one target, the Sorcerer trumps it soundly.
If you're considering that they can successfully cast Fireball without harming any of their melee comrades. If you're using Careful Spell, then you can Quicken Spell Fire Bolt​ less times.

Colder

Explorer
If you're considering that they can successfully cast Fireball without harming any of their melee comrades. If you're using Careful Spell, then you can Quicken Spell Fire Bolt​ less times.

Well, since we're in a white room where the immortal mystic hits with all their attacks, I figured "What's the harm in letting the sorcerer blast groups of mooks without his party getting in the way."

Vileo Sufora

First Post
Well, since we're in a white room where the immortal mystic hits with all their attacks, I figured "What's the harm in letting the sorcerer blast groups of mooks without his party getting in the way."
That's why I stated that both of them were getting their "average" total damage output. Yes, I concede that a Sorcerer with a shooting gallery is much more powerful, however having a shooting gallery doesn't always happen. Whereas single target can happen a large amount of the time.

EDIT: To be fair, we're also both considering that all mooks fail their Dexterity saving throws against Fireball, and that Sorcerer hits every time with Fire Bolt.
EDIT 2: It's also worth noting that Sorcerers expend their spell slots and sorcery points regardless of the outcome of the attacks. Mystics only expend their psi points if the attack connects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads