Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Intellect Fortress is too weak. Psionic Restoration is also on the weaker side.
Iron Durability and Psionic Restoration both grant non-magical healing. Will people freak out?
I am liking the Talents but would like to see some more options there.

Remathilis

Legend
Intellect Fortress is too weak. Psionic Restoration is also on the weaker side.
Iron Durability and Psionic Restoration both grant non-magical healing. Will people freak out?
Psionics is still supernatural. It's not a magic-like effect masquerading as a non-magical natural ability.

bogmad

First Post

Well, it's not exactly "yelling a limb back on" so I don't expect it'll cause a warlord debate. :D

GobiWon

Explorer
... but my interest for the class pretty much bottoms out at any mention of the Far Realm.

I can easily ignore it, but I don't mind the Far Realms being one of the ways one acquires psionic powers. I agree that it shouldn't be the only source. I like having psionics draped with a little pseudo-science jargon, but the mystic is also a reasonable skin for a practitioner of mental powers.

GobiWon

Explorer
You wouldn't be able to use Surge of Speed, Cunning Action, and Light Step all on the same turn because they all use your bonus action. So most you could get, using your action to dash, would be (35+30)*2=130 feet, without provoking opportunity attacks. That's possible with just 1 level in mystic. It makes Surge of Action pale in comparison.

I should have caught that. 130 ft with no opportunity attacks at first level is still impressive, but not necessarily broken.

Bupp

Adventurer
Definitely an improvement over v1. Overall a good structure to build from. I like the focus and various point costs of the disciplines.

I'd like this version, with a few tweaks, out to 20 levels. Add in some more Orders, disciplines and talents to flesh it out.

Not a fan of the far realm stuff. Maybe as an option, but not as the default.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Yeah, my mistake, I forgot that a spell slot translates into a given number of spell points. They do all work out the same, given that conversion table.

Remove ads

Remove ads