• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

So reviewing this, and it does seem they cleaned up a lot from the first draft. Surge of Health seems poorly worded, and rather weak. It's uncanny dodge, usable once a short rest, that also prevents you from using your focus (which means losing a +1 to hit/damage or AC usually). That's pretty terrible. Maybe if it halved all damage until end of your next turn.

In terms of the talents, Blade Meld is incredibly niche and weak. Great, you get to sneak in 1 weapon, totally worth it for the one time (maybe) a campaign where that actually matters, because in the D&D world, only a fool would assume an unarmed person actually isnt a threat with monks, spellcasters, psions, etc running around. They missed an opportunity for a soul knife type power where you create the weapon. Have it function like Shillelagh but off Intelligence. If they are going to keep it a crappy smuggling talent, why just weapons? Like I can engulf a greatsword but not this map? As it stands, this isnt worth a power pick.

They could also use a fluffy talent similar to prestidigitation, thaumaturgy, and druidcraft.

zaratan

First Post
How does barbarian rage would interact with non concentration psionic disciplines? With intellect fortress, now you're resistent to all. Consumptive power cost is absurd.

Psionic weapon is ridiculously good. Lethal strike make divine smite cry like a baby, and psionic have points of a full caster, pali is only half caster. Pali need to burn a 4th lvl spell slot to do 5d8, psionic do 5d10 for the same as a 3rd lvl spell slot. You can do the same as lvl 6 magic weapon spell using same poits as lvl 3.

EK 11/ Mystic 9

darkness + blindsight
polearm with sentinel and GWM, you really doesn't need a good Int, just 13 or 14.

57d10 to burn in a day (or 35d10 in one turn)

Surge of action is a bad joke, same spell poits as haste, but much worst

mellored

Legend
Spell slots and PSI Point limits are basically the same, so I don't know what you mean by stacking slots. The paladin can burn one spell slot, besides the paladin is a half-caster and the mystic is basically a full caster.
The paladin is a half-caster with multi-attack, a fighting style, and who can multiclass into sorcerer to get more slots.

Mystic is a full caster without multi-attack. And can't get more Psi with multi-class sorcerer, eldrich knight, or any other class.

(Improved divine smite = cutting resonance).

This is how power creep happens. Let's compare this dpr to another class's ability that is already recognized as over-powered and then ignore the limitations of the original class when compared to the new.
Without multi-attack the Mystic is going to lose any DPR contest to any weapon user, and some cantrips.

To compare nova's at level 5...

Paladin: 2x (1d8+4+2 dueling style + 3d8 smite) = 48
Mystic: 1d8+4 + 5d10 lethal strike = 36

Mystic using celerity + lethal strike (10 points) = 52.

And just for sake of argument.
Assassin crit: 1d8+4+3d6 + (1d8+3d6 crit) = 34

Last edited by a moderator:

GobiWon

Explorer
The paladin is a half-caster with multi-attack, a fighting style, and who can multiclass into sorcerer to get more slots.

Mystic is a full caster without multi-attack. And can't get more Psi with multi-class sorcerer, eldrich knight, or any other class.

(Improved divine smite = cutting resonance).

Without multi-attack the Mystic is going to lose any DPR contest to any weapon user, and some cantrips.

To compare nova's at level 5...

Paladin: 2x (1d8+4+2 dueling style + 2d8) smite = 39
Mystic: 1d8+4 + 5d10 lethal strike = 36

And just for sake of argument.
Assassin crit: 1d8+4+3d6 + (1d8+3d6 crit) = 34

but you are ignoring that the mystic has twice as many "slots" as the paladin and could potentially dip for multi-attack.

but you are ignoring that the mystic has twice as many "slots" as the paladin and could potentially dip for multi-attack.

I'm not sure 5 levels constitute a "dip". Thats half your levels in most campaigns per WOTC's research. With no increase in PSP's... yeah no thanks lol. See how a 5 level dip in sorcerer works out for the paladin. I dare say better.

Lets also not forget that paladins have d10 HP, Lay on hands, an intelligent/independent mount, and an aura that somehow snuck in from 3rd edition's bloated numbers and spits in the face of bounded accuracy/saves. Depending on the oath, you get some really tasty spells in there, like hunter's mark for even more dps. Their casting stat, which increases their durability more than Int dfoes for the immortal, ALSO lets them dominate the social pillar in a way that intelligence rarely does in the exploration/investigation pillar.

The immortal on the other hand, is basically lethal strike on legs.

GobiWon

Explorer
One level dip in monk for unarmed strike which is a melee weapon attack or Pole Arm master or I just attack with my off-hand. Mystic has healing that is better than lay on hands. We should not be comparing new classes to what is already considered the most powerful class in the game. The goal should be that new classes should be on par with the average class found in the PHB ... otherwise power creep.

seebs

Adventurer
Initial reaction: They mentioned the Far Realms in the main flavor text (not an optional side bar). This is a fail. Yes, I can ignore/change the flavor text, but I still disagree with its inclusion to begin with. Second fail: "psionics and magic are different". Hated it in 3E. The first UA Mystic skated a thin line, for me, and was passable as "different". If psionics no longer means what it has for the previous 40ish years, then it might be OK, but I'll have to stew on that.

Now, I'll go read and ponder the actual mechanics.

I'm confused, in that the "psionics and magic are different" thing has been there since 1e.

GobiWon

Explorer
I think mello is referring to the fact that you can stack a divine smite on top of a smite spell, as there is no wording which restricts this.

The mystic has more slots to burn. Technically there is no restriction on lethal strike as long as you have an attack to stack it on. RAW indicates per discipline use even though the psi limit would seem to indicate a per round use restriction but that is not clarified. With a point system you can convert lower level slots into higher ones, so technically the mystic out does the Paladin in that respect.

Devilbass

Explorer
Yes, the mystic can lethal strike more than a paladin can smite, but it needs that in order to even try to keep up as a melee character. Paladins get a fighting style and extra attack, they don't need smite the way a melee immortal needs lethal strike. And as [MENTION=31506]ehren37[/MENTION] stated above, multiclassing 5 levels in any class is not a dip. At that point, you've limited the number of PSI points you're getting anyways, so your feared combo of Extra Attack and Lethal Strike can't even be used as often.

Remove ads

Remove ads