• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

Ashrym

Legend
Also, the feat improvements have an issue. What if I am a Dwarf with 20 constitution and I take Wild Talent? If I want to have it affect my constitution rolls, I wouldn't be able to. You shouldn't be absolutely obligated to take the bonus with the boosted attribute.

Not sure I'm following your concern. I would plan out my dwarf to reach 20 CON with the +1 from wild talent if I were taking it. Any feat that gives +1 to an ability score coincides with an odd ability score when planning it out. This isn't different.

I actually like this article for the most part. Reminds me of a much less broken version of 1e psionics. And I really don't see Psionic Talent die size requiring any more effort to keep track of than spell slots. shrug

The Psi Knight and Soulknife are well done. I'd rather see a full Psion class, but if we don't, the Sorcerer subclass works a lot better than the Wizard one did. I would like to see the Sorcerer subclass change spellcasting stat from CHA to INT, though.

Liking the feats, too. I have a feeling Wild Talent + Metabolic Control is going to be a popular feat combination for some builds of Warlock and Battle Master Fighter.

dave2008

Legend
If this is the direction 5e is going with psionics, I may stick with Pathfinder/Dreamscarred Press, True20, Blue Rose, or maybe anything else. :(
For psionics or game? I can't imagining changing ship because of psionic rules. Though I have never used them in any edition of D&D!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Not too shabby. I'd prefer it was a psion core class with a variety of subclasses, but that's not a deal-breaker.

I'm not sure what Dexterity has to do with psionics (I'm looking at you, Soulknife) but it's probably not a big deal; the ability I'm referring to is only available at 17th level so it'll likely not see use in most peoples' games. Still, seems unfair to make the Fighter use Intelligence, while the Rogue gets to use its over-optimized Dexterity and the Sorcerer gets to use its over-optimized Charisma...

If they ask me (and they didn't*), all psionic powers should be Intelligence-based, regardless of subclass.

*yet

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads