• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Sorcerers: Favored Souls, Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, & Stone Sorcery

Favored Soul (again), Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, Earth Sorcery. Could this be the start of Elementalists?

Favored Soul (again), Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, Earth Sorcery.

Could this be the start of Elementalists?

akr71

Hero
Meh. I don't hate them, but I don't see me or any of my players wanting to try these. I would have really liked more metamagic options.

zaratan

First Post
stone sorcerer looks good for multiclass with warlock pack of tome. Get shillelagh and you just need Cha and Con. Can Twin booming blade, guidance, "good ac", short rest sorc points, armor of aghatys or reaction attack if they avoid you...

Chaosmancer

Legend
The more I look at these, and the more I think of the sorcerer in general, the more I want a Revised Sorcerer. It just feels like the class isn't doing what the designers want it to do. It isn't tanky enough to be the second line of melee like they seem to want, even with all these sub-class buffs, and metamagic is perceived as so powerful that it hobbles the sorcerer for their entire career, and I just feel they never really live up to those expectations.

I like the design ideas behind sea and stone, I even like the idea of them being sorcerers, but with the base class needing an overhaul like I think it does... it's hard to see these doing as good as they should as a pure 20 lv sorcerer.

bganon

Explorer
I think this UA just clarified for me that I really don't like the Sorcerer's base class abilities. These subclasses are mostly fine at what they do, and have some interesting things going on (especially Sea and Stone). But they're all built on a chassis that I don't care for.

IMO sorcerers should have, if anything, fewer spells known but way more metamagic. I'm not fond of the "like a Wizard, but with Charisma!" version. But I guess we're not going to see that in a UA article, at least not soon.

GobiWon

Explorer
The more I think about it, the less I like stone. I wanted a sword mage as a subclass of fighter and this steals it's thunder. I don't really see Sorcerers as melee characters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The more I think about it, the less I like stone. I wanted a sword mage as a subclass of fighter and this steals it's thunder. I don't really see Sorcerers as melee characters.
The Draconic Sorcerer is at least as good a melee character as a Blade singer...and both are full 9 level casters to boot.

Already have Eldritch Knight, doubt a new Arcane Fighter subclass is in the cards. Maybe Arcanist Paladin?

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads