• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
BTW, I just noticed that Lore Master + Magic Missile is obscenely broken due to the way "simultaneous" damage works. Doing d4+1+2d10 damage per missile is better than the damage boost an Evoker gets. 101 points of auto-hit Force damage for a Magic Missile V plus a first-level slot? Yes, please. I don't think that was intended.
Since the lore master feature says "against every target", it only boosts magic missile damage by more than 2d10 if you spread your missiles out. So it's not quite as bad as "101 points of auto-hit force damage" makes it sound, since throwing a 5th-level magic missile at a single target while enhancing it with lore master would only do 7(1d4+1)+2d10 for a range of 16-55, rather than 7(1d4+2d10+1) for a range of 28-175.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Alchemical Casting could be replaced by some kind of ribbon, like storing your spellbook in an extradimensional space or whatever, and it would still be the wizard that most people wanted.

But I really do think that Spell Secrets fits a Wizard better than the Sorcerer. Sorcerers don't really do variable damage types, they generally stick to 1-3 (unless they are Wild Mages, but that's a different kettle of fish that nobody is talking about here). The main problem with the Sorcerer has always been it's limited spell list (heck there is even a spell that bypasses elemental resistances that they don't have access to for some bizarre reason) however an ability to naturally ignore resistances isn't entirely out of line for they should be.

ambroseji

Explorer
But I really do think that Spell Secrets fits a Wizard better than the Sorcerer. Sorcerers don't really do variable damage types, they generally stick to 1-3 (unless they are Wild Mages, but that's a different kettle of fish that nobody is talking about here). The main problem with the Sorcerer has always been it's limited spell list (heck there is even a spell that bypasses elemental resistances that they don't have access to for some bizarre reason) however an ability to naturally ignore resistances isn't entirely out of line for they should be.

This is only true because 2/3 of the published sorcerers (draconic, storm) specialize on a single damage type. However, the defining characteristic or sorcerers that has been spouted at us since the playtest, their defining characteristic, is supposed to be their innate, flexible control over their spells. While I grant that, at the moment, it makes sense for most sorcs to focus on 1 elemental damage type, it doesn't change the fact that on-the-fly changing the way a spell works is supposed to be what makes them special.

However, even your lightning-based dragon sorcerer would benefit from Spell Secrets. Suddenly, burning hands, cone of cold, shatter, melf's acid arrow, scorching ray (!), all get your bonus damage. Seems nice, yeah?

If the Lore Master had to prepare the spell one way or the other, I would be completely fine with the flexibility. It's the adaptable, as-you-cast, spell manipulation that I think encroaches on sorcerer's territory.

Lanliss

Explorer

There has been some discussion about specific mechanics in recent UAs, where people believe that Mechanics are actually not at all connected to the class they are labeled for. It is possible that the final goal of the "change energy type" is to fit in a Sorcerer, or the Shadow Hound is planned for a Ranger subtype.

unknowable

Explorer
-trimmed for reply-
You forgot Int to initiative. It is a small bonus but allows for stupid amounts of stat dumping, even more for people who roll up characters.

I like the concepts presented here.

But DAMN lore wizard is EASILY the single most powerful wizard in the game.

- Four expertise in magical knowledge.
- Intelligence for initiative (if you want, but allowing for dex if a buff allows it to eclipse intelligence)
- Change the element of a spell at will (for overcoming DR)
- Spend spell slots for wizard metamagic that stays stupidly powerful/versatile at all levels
- Cast any spell from the spell list even ones you don't know at level 14.

Just... This is the elminster archtype if I ever saw one. All of the bonuses step away from being situational and to being constantly on super powers.

As for the warlocks. Some of the invocations are clear traps, like the +1 magical weapon (pact of blade weapons already count as magical for DR and you would have to choose it over better options like a second attack, I know you can pick it up later... but let's be honest. by then a +2 is a better choice as there is no prereq)

Raven is by far the more interesting of the two for me, at level 6 they become master escapists and I can see the abilities being really powerful in the hands of someone creative.
I would have ratherred it be tied to "a tiny creature under CR..." rather than specifically raven, not because raven is bad. Just because it would officially accommodate more concepts and I doubt it would break anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This is only true because 2/3 of the published sorcerers (draconic, storm) specialize on a single damage type. However, the defining characteristic or sorcerers that has been spouted at us since the playtest, their defining characteristic, is supposed to be their innate, flexible control over their spells. While I grant that, at the moment, it makes sense for most sorcs to focus on 1 elemental damage type, it doesn't change the fact that on-the-fly changing the way a spell works is supposed to be what makes them special.
I think that's a miss-characterization of how sorcerers actually play. Yes I know lots of people say that they are supposed to be "flexible". But really, sorcerers are basically a magical sledgehammer that overcomes via overwhelming force.

However, even your lightning-based dragon sorcerer would benefit from Spell Secrets. Suddenly, burning hands, cone of cold, shatter, melf's acid arrow, scorching ray (!), all get your bonus damage. Seems nice, yeah?
Or you could have a spell list that boasts Shocking Hands, Cone of Lightning, Overload, Melfs Electric Arrow, and Lightning Ray for the same effect. I maintain sorcerers need a wider spell selection and possibly an ability to ignore resistances. Spell Secrets could help with some of that, but it would also be partially wasted due to the same reason a sorcerer would want it, they don't stray that much from their elemental specialties unless they absolutely have to. In the end, that makes Spell Secrets a round peg in a square hole: it will technically pass, but to fill in the gaps at the corners for a perfect fit you still need something else. Also of note, it's just a two-level dip right now, and it works on every spell the Lore Master can cast, so if a sorcerer really wanted it, it's not out of reach.

If the Lore Master had to prepare the spell one way or the other, I would be completely fine with the flexibility. It's the adaptable, as-you-cast, spell manipulation that I think encroaches on sorcerer's territory.
I can see why that would be more palatable, but I think the current implementation is more in-tune with the narrative flow of the game and how the Lore Master would interact with it. That is to say the Lore Master sees a monster, the Lore Master recalls all of the monster lore they can, and then the Lore Master capitalizes on the knowledge that brings by fine tuning their spells against the monster. An additional limitation (such as a rest-recharge) wouldn't be out of the question, it is perhaps too potent when effectively at-will.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Then why doesn't the SORCERER that already has problems filling out their elemental niche have this for free or at some cost? Why has it been wrong for three years to give sorcerers something like this but it is ok to instantly give it the the insanely more versatile wizard? Specially at no cost?
I'd actually be fine if the sorcerer had it, I even updated a spell specifically for sorcerers which does it and could see additional spells being added to them. I hadn't considered an ability to do the same.

Also, it isn't wizards that have this ability, it's a specific subclass of wizard that does. Maybe WotC will make a subclass for sorcerers that does the same. After all, nothing in UA is official yet.

Dualazi

First Post
Re: Lore Master Wizard

I am not seeing it OP nor stepping on sorcerers toes. Wizards have an opportunity cost "problem" (I use that word loosely). In many ways, particularly with 5E, the wizard spell list is all bout the "wierd" utility spells. As a wizard I have to prepare these wierd, corner case utility spells, AND damage spells for many (if not all) potential targets. With this archetype, the wizard can pick a few key damage spells to use as needed, and actually prepare MORE of the weird utility spells.

Given the changes to how prepared spells work in 5e versus prior editions, I’m going to need some examples. Especially since spells like water breathing can easily affect the whole team with a single cast, and many spells can be cast as rituals if you have time and want to conserve slots.

Even if we do accept your premise, it’s still overshadowing the sorcerer, because now the wizard isn’t losing damage but is gaining utility. There needs to be a tradeoff there or it’s still a power bump at the end of the day, and one that certainly is not needed.

The metamagic-like feature is a pretty steep cost to a wizards mojo. Sorcerers get them as a bonus, this wizard has to burn more slots. Burn them if you must, but all the time? 15min workday anyone?

Uh, what? It kicks in a level 6 and gets you 3 options, which is actually more metamagic than the sorcerer gets at that level. The Sorcerer has to wait till level 10 to have 3 of its metamagic available.

To add insult to injury, several of them are straight-up better than Sorcerer options. At best empowered spell lets you reroll 5 damage dice (which can end up with lower rolls you have to keep, mind) while the wizard gets an easy +2d10 damage of the best damage type in the game. Distant spell cries about the sniping ability of the lore wizard.

Even the DC change is close, while disadvantage from the sorcerer is still probably better in a vacuum, the level 2 lore wizard ability erases that completely by switching the target to an unproficient/low stat save.

As for the slots issue, wizards have tons and can get back more through arcane recovery, while sorc. Metamagic is bound to long rests exclusively.

I think this is one of those builds you have to play to really feel its weakness/strength. If 5E has taught me anything, its that not everything is as it seems on paper. YMMV

I disagree. There are always differences in play due to any number of factors, but that hardly means it’s impossible to gauge an options strength in hypothesis. It’s reasonably well accepted that moon druids, for example, are borderline overpowered at levels 2-5, and we’ve had numerous threads from GMs asking for help dealing with them. This wasn’t really a shock, though, as many people had seen this coming simply by reading the mechanical ability and realizing that a huge amount of temp hp+early multi-attack was going to be an issue. This is was also somewhat shown by the UA article on druids trying to tone down their wildshape options a bit to smooth the power curve. Point being, I don’t need to play one to know that a 14th level wizard picking any spell he wants from any resource, changing the damage type on it, and then changing his enemy’s save against it is a recipe for trouble.

There has been some discussion about specific mechanics in recent UAs, where people believe that Mechanics are actually not at all connected to the class they are labeled for. It is possible that the final goal of the "change energy type" is to fit in a Sorcerer, or the Shadow Hound is planned for a Ranger subtype.
The thing with the Shadow Hound has a long history with the Hexblade class, though. If you recall, the Hexblade was originally a martial class that also got a little bit of arcane spellcasting and had a familiar, where the familiar was actually pretty useful since it inherited the Hexblade's full BAB and half of its massive d10 hit dice. In any case, one of the class feature substitutions in... I wanna say it was PHB 2... let you trade out the familiar for a shadow pet that was invincible and acted as a constant-effect curse on anything adjacent to it. And as great as the familiar was, an invincible super curse was still a step up, so it was a popular substitution for a less-than-popular class.

It's not quite the same thing, but there's definite precedent for it as part of the class identity.

Since I didn't see anyone state this directly yet, it's important to remember that Unearthed Arcana is a showcase for ideas, and not intended as fully-analyzed or completely-balanced options for an otherwise-serious long-term campaign. As we've seen in the past, they intentionally over-power the concepts that they want to gather feedback on, because that's the best way to guarantee lots of playtesting for it. If they decide to move forward with an idea, because testers like the concept (even if they complain about the power balance), then they usually tone the numbers down before they make anything official.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads