Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I don't think anything the loremaster does would be inappropriate... if it had to prepare the modified spells.
That would go SOME of the way toward mitigating the imbalance. However, there is still a very good reason why the number of spells that target uncommon saves (like intelligence, etc) are few and far between. And tend not to completely shut down the enemy. At present, all other abilities that nerf enemy saves are either circumstantial (e.g. eldritch knight, arcane trickster abilities couple circumstantial requirements and reduced spellcasting) or have stiff resource costs (Sorcerer Heighten metamagic requires the equivalent of a 2nd level spell slot, Diviner ability gets a total of 2 uses per day - which may or may not actually nerf an enemy save). The Loremaster save-swapping ability should at the very least NOT be given at low level, and have some sort of resource or usage-based limitation placed upon it.

EDIT: Boldness purely for readability of that broken sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

However, there is still a very good reason why the number of spells that target uncommon saves (like intelligence, etc) are few and far between.
Huh? I think you're switching cause and effect here. Intelligence is an "uncommon save" precisely because there aren't a lot of spells that target it. It's not especially weak otherwise. And for what it's worth, the mystic is adding quite a few Int save effects.

At present, all other abilities that nerf enemy saves are either circumstantial (e.g. eldritch knight, arcane trickster abilities couple circumstantial requirements and reduced spellcasting) or have stiff resource costs (Sorcerer Heighten metamagic requires the equivalent of a 2nd level spell slot, Diviner ability gets a total of 2 uses per day - which may or may not actually nerf an enemy save). The Loremaster save-swapping ability should at the very least NOT be given at low level, and have some sort of resource or usage-based limitation placed upon it.

EDIT: Boldness purely for readability of that broken sentence.
Well, there's always bane. But I take your point. There are conceptual problems as well: what does it look like when you cast a fireball that can't be dodged, only thought out of?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Do you really think overt spitefulness is a good tone to adopt if you want your opinion to be taken seriously?

Sorry, I'm bad at reasserting myself. And well, these are my feelings. I wasn't trying to be spiteful just because, I just needed to vent those somewhere, anywhere. Rather here than with my players or than bottling it up. Perhaps hyperbole, but all of it is a reflection of what I've seen and been told about the sorcerer just inverted and tuned up. If you feel I was being unfair and harsh, well that is how I've felt from the designers and the community at large. I'm not trying to move anybody anymore, I needed to let it out. Maybe I won't be taken seriously, but I wasn't taken seriously way before that. And well, that is my irrational fantasy, one I'm completely sure won't ever happen and certainly one I'll never inflict on anybody.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Some more restrictions, the prepare as a new spell thing, and some of the things that are at-will made....not at will.

I'd rather see it as the base chassis for a revised sorcerer, or an alternate wizard with fewer spell slots and a smaller spell list.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads