• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unhallow and Silence question

Marimmar

First Post
Unhallow allows the caster to tie another spell to an unhallowed site and the caster may decide who is affected by that spell. So if the BBEG ties a silence spell on an unhallowed site does this mean that only the good guys would be subject to the silence spell?

~Marimmar

Telperion

First Post
From SRD 3.5:

Finally, you may choose to fix a single spell effect to the unhallowed site. The spell effect lasts for one year and functions throughout the entire site, regardless of its normal duration and area or effect. You may designate whether the effect applies to all creatures, creatures that share your faith or alignment, or creatures that adhere to another faith or alignment. At the end of the year, the chosen effect lapses, but it can be renewed or replaced simply by casting unhallow again.

However:
Spell effects that may be tied to an unhallowed site include aid, bane, bless, cause fear, darkness, daylight, death ward, deeper darkness, detect magic, detect good, dimensional anchor, discern lies, dispel magic, endure elements, freedom of movement, invisibility purge, protection from energy, remove fear, resist energy, silence, tongues, and zone of truth.

So, yes and no. You have a good idea, but it isn't supported by the spell. Of course you could just House Rule it...* shrugs *

shilsen

Adventurer
Telperion said:
So, yes and no. You have a good idea, but it isn't supported by the spell. Of course you could just House Rule it...* shrugs *

I don't get it. Why is his idea not supported by the spell? Silence is in the list of spells in the section you quoted.

shilsen

Adventurer
Marimmar said:
Unhallow allows the caster to tie another spell to an unhallowed site and the caster may decide who is affected by that spell. So if the BBEG ties a silence spell on an unhallowed site does this mean that only the good guys would be subject to the silence spell?

~Marimmar
Right. Beautiful, isn't it?

Marimmar

First Post
The idea was not mine, our last night's DM made us look very flabbergasted, first our summoned nasties couldn't enter that darn tower and when we entered our spellcasters fell silent and couldn't do anything but get out of that unholy site. :D

...and I thought I was nasty when I introduced Trolls with Resist Energy (Fire) 30 inside an unholy fortress of evil. ;)

~Marimmar

Remove ads