Unique Magic Item Properties/Quirks

Reverend47

First Post
When I first started playing D&D my GM has a glowing pillar that enchanted any item touched to it with a random property, be it a weapon, bit of clothing, or just a fork. However the item was only magical for the person it was soulbound to. In my own campaign I'm wanting to revive the random enchantment idea. I'm looking for suggestions for quirks/properties for items!

So far, I have the following
1) Item is invisible to any but the owner
2) Item is weightless in the owner's hands
3) Item is indestructible when in the owner's hands
4) Changes size at command of the owner
5) Can turn into a small silver bracelet and back on owner's command

However, I would like to beef up the list. I would like them to be useful, able to be applied to most items preferably, and interesting. Simple +x stat items are to be avoided obviously. Can enworld help?

SeprenMaelstrom

First Post
Maybe a warding effect?

Say, Once per encounter, the first time you would take fire damage, the first 3 of that damage becomes temporary hit points.

Or for weapons / other handheld items: Nimble. Item can be used as Thievery Tools during Thievery checks.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The item can change into a similar item. (ie: A sword can change into any bladed weapon, a dress can change into any type of clothing, etc.)

jefgorbach

First Post
- owner can use unseen servant and/or prestidigitation at will (regardless of class)
- item's material composition changes daily (iron, cold iron, silver, mithral, etc)
- daily use of a single selected spell, which may be changed once each level.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While not as simple, I am working on a Rite Publishing supplement for the Kaidan setting (Japanese horror) for Pathfinder RPG called 30 Ancestral Relics, that feature 30 different items from weapons and armor to sandals, hats even an awl (leather worker's tool).

Like your 'soul bound' concept - each item was once owned by one of your ancestors, whose soul is bound to the item and only a descendant can use the arcane effects within each item. In the hands of a non-family member it works as a masterwork item only.

Like Weapons of Legacy, these items level up as you level up (every other level) for 10 different arcane enhancements, 5 being +1's to hit/dam for weapons, some are +1's to a specific stat, etc. While the other 5 are skill check bonuses or other special properties.

Unlike Weapons of Legacy, instead of XP and GP tax to upgrade items, Kaidan uses an Honor Score (0 - 10), each power up has a minimum honor score requirement, appropriate level, and an event trigger. An event trigger is something like, "must successfully bribe an official" sometime in the 2 levels prior to power up. This way a GM uses the built in event trigger or makes one's up that correspond to the current campaign - so it serves as a tool to keep the PCs on track in your campaign storyline.

I'm working on the last few, then sending it to editing, so 30 Ancestral Relics from Rite Publishing, should be released in the next 30 days - and something that might fit your needs.

Last edited:

Reverend47

First Post
Does it have to be a useful bonus? Or can it just be something silly like: Item insults enemies during combat.

It's intended to be useful to some degree and in some way, though not per say in combat, etc. The idea of the stone is you can enchant anything pressed against it. A fork, a belt, a length of rope, whatever. So weapon-specific or combat specific enchants are kinda a no-go regardless.

The exact mechanics for all of these probably need some work, but here's a few ideas:

- The item generates heat that can only be felt by the owner. This heat is warm enough to ward off most negative effects of cold environment when the weapon is wielded/worn, but will never cause damage. The heat could also be used to find the item in the dark, or locate/identify it if it were concealed.

- When held against a solid surface (i.e. a wall) for one round, the item will let the owner know the thickness of the wall (at the point of contact). Useful for identifying weak points, searching for hidden areas, and finding studs to hand a picture.

- The item cannot be disarmed, stolen, or otherwise taken from the owner without consent. Alternatively: any time the owner attempts to draw the item (from a pocket, sheath, etc), the item magically appears in their hands, even it if had been taken of left at another location.

- Any time the item touches something, it leaves behind a mark that can only be seen by the owner.

Remove ads