• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unseen Servant spell question

Lyrad8791

First Post
Is there a way to turn an unseen servant into a guard or assassin? Obviously they don't have skills so they would either draw their skill checks from me or they would just use them unskilled.

Anyone have any clarification on this spell? I would love to give an unseen servant a ghost touch sword/shield or a dagger combo. Make them guard me while I sleep or while in combat to stop incoming blows and retaliate.

Anyone have information for me? I would love if this was possible!

Jimlock

Adventurer
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DFmi3x7tk]‪The Stranglers - Midnight Summer Dream From the Album Feline‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Axel

First Post
The PHB is pretty clear that an Unseen Servant is not able to attack and is incapable of even rolling a d20 for attacking. With an effective strength of 2 it isn't going to do much in terms of lifting weapons anyway (-4 damage modifier).

Your best bet would be to command it to wake you if anything approaches, though you'd need to be pretty specific about what to do AND hope that the Unseen Servant is capable of detecting whatever approaches.

Lyrad8791

First Post
Interesting. I haven't read the spell in a long time and the idea had just come to me a little bit ago. Can anyone think of a similar spell that WOULD work in this instance? And what makes the unseen servant unable to attack? If I remember properly they are able to lift and move up to 50 Lbs. It doesn't say drag or toss but move. Therefore I would assume that it would have the ability of moving a weapon with just as much ease.

On the other hand, I also see the reasoning behind it not being able to attack. It would be uber OP if it was able to. At least in the wrong hands or with clever people. At the same time, there are spells that make it possible to "see" an unseen servant, which would render their invisibility useless and hence the point of them doing what they do useless. Which means no assassinations using unseen servant.

Since this spell obviously won't work for what I had in mind, can someone tell me a spell that will work or tell me how I would go about making it? My DM only allows spells from the core book most of the time and has yet to do more then glance at the spell research/creation section of the epic handbook. Which I do believe is the ONLY place I have ever seen anything like said table.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, Unseen Servant is little more than a semi-self-directed version of Mage Hand. What you're asking for is a higher level spell that, given your DM wanting you to use core books only, would have to be researched. (Non-epic spell research is spelled out in the DMG in a decent amount of detail -- more than any other edition got, and one of the sections I'm most fond of.)

The way I'd build your Unseen Guardian spell is I'd figure out the equivalent monster -- and remember, it's both invisible and has the ghost touch quality -- and figure out which Summon Monster spell would call it up. Normally, I'd then drop it a spell level, since it can only summon up this one monster, but since you want it to watch you all night while you sleep, its duration should be extended, so the spell will end up the same level as the comparable Summon Monster.

At a guess, I'm betting this ends up around a level 3 or 4 arcane spell.

Sekhmet

First Post
Is there a way to turn an unseen servant into a guard or assassin? Obviously they don't have skills so they would either draw their skill checks from me or they would just use them unskilled.

Anyone have any clarification on this spell? I would love to give an unseen servant a ghost touch sword/shield or a dagger combo. Make them guard me while I sleep or while in combat to stop incoming blows and retaliate.

Anyone have information for me? I would love if this was possible!

I like Invisible Stalkers and Phantasmal Killers.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Unseen Servant

"The servant cannot attack in any way; it is never allowed an attack roll"

With that said, in one game of ours a player in combat created an Unseen Servant and instructed it to carry a piece of burning wood and drop it onto an opponent who was at negative Hitpoints but had been stablized.

So, anything is possible if you're creative enough.

Last edited:

Nyeshet

First Post
What about Mage's Faithful Hound? Its a 5th level spell, but it seems to do what you want: guards you, attacks foes, lasts 1 hr per caster level, invisible to all but you (although it is unclear if See Invisible will reveal it or not). If this is too high a level, perhaps your caster can research a lower level version.

the Jester

Legend
First of all, as others have noted, the spell explicitly states in its description that it cannot attack. So, no, you can't have it guard you.

The unseen servant isn't a creature, it's a force, so without your direction, it doesn't do anything at all.

Off topic much?
This isnt even remotely close to the topic. Please remove.

I think his point was "You're dreaming," but even if it wasn't, there's no need to get all butt hurt because someone bothered to participate in your thread. Also, you do not get to dictate what other people post; as long as they are not breaking the rules, it's kosher.

Protip: Reactions like that will probably get you less responses in the long run.

Remove ads