• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "Unstoppable" new reaction introduced in Descent?

Nebulous

Legend
I think it is a cool ability. It would be even COOLER if the DM could creatively describe what it looks like while it's happening!

"Even as your ax critically strikes your foe in the head, a swirling visage of the death god surrounds him and the wound completely heals before your eyes. Grinning mercilessly, the monster surges toward you..."

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think it's relevant to note that the Death's Head of Bhaal doesn't seem to be designed as a boss monster. It's nasty, but it doesn't have legendary actions or legendary resistance, so it's action economy doesn't really support it being a solo.

I think that Unstoppable, if used in addition to Legendary Resistance on a boss monster, might be overkill. At the same time, it isn't sufficient as a replacement for Legendary Resistance, since without that a boss could easily be stunlocked (or the equivalent).

That said, I could see an ability that combines Unstoppable with Legendary Resistance, giving the choice of either or. That combination would make for a very mean and formidable adversary in my opinion.

darjr

I crit!
Your strike is a death blow!...... but for a moment you see into another universe, another reality, one far more terrible and desperate than any that have terrified your nightmares. Two deaths heads, one dead and shattered, one chuckling and snearing. That one moves across the void, and now confronts you, laughing.

werecorpse

Adventurer
You could add this ability to Legendary resistance keeping it at 3/day combined

Edit: I liked the Unstoppable tag someone used for monsters on this forum that gave them sort of half resistance against anything that paralysed, stunned etc.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Oh yeah, I remember that. I think that was Quickleaf's elite rules for bosses and minibosses. I think I saved it somewhere, should really have another look.
You could add this ability to Legendary resistance keeping it at 3/day combined

Edit: I liked the Unstoppable tag someone used for monsters on this forum that gave them sort of half resistance against anything that paralysed, stunned etc.

pukunui

Legend
How does it compare to Undead Fortitude? I’ve had zombies that just kept making their saves round after round after round and probably ended up absorbing as many hp that way as they had to begin with!

werecorpse

Adventurer
How does it compare to Undead Fortitude? I’ve had zombies that just kept making their saves round after round after round and probably ended up absorbing as many hp that way as they had to begin with!
Probably partly in the way it’s described but mechanically it’s more likely to be used against a big hit whereas undead fortitude tends to make some small hits ineffective

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads