• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "Unstoppable" new reaction introduced in Descent?

Nebulous

Legend
It only gets one reaction. So no, not all that powerful. And it could easily blow it before the big hitting attack came in, or end up not using it because the big hit attack it was saving it for missed anyway.

I can't even see it living long enough to use it three times.
I think it's relevant to note that the Death's Head of Bhaal doesn't seem to be designed as a boss monster. It's nasty, but it doesn't have legendary actions or legendary resistance, so it's action economy doesn't really support it being a solo.

I think that Unstoppable, if used in addition to Legendary Resistance on a boss monster, might be overkill. At the same time, it isn't sufficient as a replacement for Legendary Resistance, since without that a boss could easily be stunlocked (or the equivalent).

That said, I could see an ability that combines Unstoppable with Legendary Resistance, giving the choice of either or. That combination would make for a very mean and formidable adversary in my opinion.

This is where I miss how D&D used to suggest how many of said monsters appear at once. Now it's totally DM fiat. One Deathhead? 10 Deathheads? What is their organizational structure like?

Nagol

Unimportant
While true, I don’t think it was a balancing tool. More like a “this is the way they are, no matter the str or level or capability of the PCs”

Balancing happened on the random monster by dungeon level tables. The number appearing varied based on actual dungeon level vs. typical dungeon level. It was never balanced against the party because the assumption was the party would pick a dungeon level with a comfortable threat level.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you think that is how D&D used to be you are clearly very young...

But it did suggest how many...and a structure...

orc1.png

orc2.png

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Not in a way that had any relevance to building a balanced encounter or was at all practical, unless you want to roll the dice for 300 orcs...

@Nebulous merely stated he missed how it used to state how many appeared, which 1st ed did. I didnt infer he was speaking of balanced encounters, but I may have missed that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads