UPDATE: Hasbro files lawsuit - Warner Bros. to make a D&D Movie. AICN

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I hope they adapt one of the novel series with an established reknown setting, such as Dragonlance's Tale of the Lance, Icewind Dale's Drizzt or even Greyhawk's Gord The Rogue...

Now THAT would be awesome!!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I hope they adapt one of the novel series with an established reknown setting, such as Dragonlance's Tale of the Lance, Icewind Dale's Drizzt or even Greyhawk's Gord The Rogue...

Now THAT would be awesome!!
I think WotC has all the rights to the settings and novels and so forth.

Which I guess hypothetically means Hasbro can make a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance movie as long as it doesn't say "Dungeons & Dragons" in the title. Actually, they could leverage the brand quite a bit by calling it something like Baldur's Gate.

Empirate

First Post
Since when were any of that ever a priority in D&D? All of them were secondary to combat, no matter the edition, especially Chainmail. And combat would translate to "showy flashy bang-bang" in screen.

I wish I could downvote posts like this in this forum... But then again, I pity the kind of games you seem to be playing most of the time, so I'll just say: I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

delericho

Legend
Since when were any of that ever a priority in D&D? All of them were secondary to combat, no matter the edition, especially Chainmail. And combat would translate to "showy flashy bang-bang" in screen.

One of the very best things to come out of the 5e development is WotC's "three pillars" approach - recognising that combat is, indeed, hugely important, but that so too are interaction and exploration.

It could well be the optimal approach for a D&D movie to be built on the same three pillars.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It looks like they finally gave up trying to get out of the contract with that ridiculous producer / director. This is both awesome and it sucks. We stand to get a decent film, but that sponge gets rich too.

knottyprof

First Post
Would rather see another Gamers sequel. That way at least I am aware that the intent was to make fun of the genre and those that partake.

I think Paramount should counter strike and sign a movie deal with Paizo for a Pathfinder movie (the game not that Vikings vs Native Americans movie that came out a few years back).

Honestly, I agree that games are based off of other materials (movies, books, etc...). After all, the point is to allow people to partake in the story rather than just being a spectator. Not to say that there isn't some good published materials out there for the game, just not sure if it translates well to the big (or small) screen. How about a movie based on one of the 1e modules or module series? Movie based on the Tomb of Horrors would be interesting, even to the point where the party is destroyed at the end and focus on the Horror part of it.

Kaodi

Hero
If the movie turns out to be horrible I saw we make our own EN World Fantasy Movie That Is Definitely Not Dungeons & Dragons.

Hoos withe meh!?

Matthias

Explorer
There is no good way to do a "D&D movie." At best it should be a miniseries, a single-season 1-hour TV show, preferably released online. Any way you do it, you can't squeeze a genuine D&D campaign into 100 minutes of screen time.

You would also have to break the fourth wall--by turning the camera on the actual players sitting round the table, vs. their characters--more often than Ahnold delivers one-liners in any movie he stars in.

Nytmare

David Jose
I would be afraid that any attempt to focus on players playing a game over the world and story that a normal game is trying to emulate would lead to one of a hundred different jokey parades of stereotypes and "the imaginary world is just as real" cliches.

I'm also afraid, with studio pressure, that this might end up being yet another one of those dark, psuedo-gothic, cookie cutter, teeny-fantasies that have been creeping out over the last couple of years. Van Helsing, Red Riding Hood, Snow White and the Huntsman, Hansel and Gretel, whatever that Werewolf movie was...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Any way you do it, you can't squeeze a genuine D&D campaign into 100 minutes of screen time.

Why on Earth would you think that you need to have an entire campaign in there to make it a good D&D movie?

Does the first Star Wars movie cover an entire campaign? No! The first movie is one adventure. The *series* covers the campaign, and then not all of it is on screen. Much of it is understood, in the background, between films.

One good story. That's all we need for one good movie.

Remove ads