Updated Battlebox - What's Different to the Old One?

I saw on the Noble Knight Games website that a new expanded and updated Battlebox has come out, including a CD. The listing on NKG doesn't really say how it is new or different to the old one and the Fiery Dragon website doesn't seem to mention anything about a new Battlebox.

So does anyone know anything about it? And what is different to the old Battlebox?

Olaf the Stout

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
I saw on the Noble Knight Games website that a new expanded and updated Battlebox has come out, including a CD. The listing on NKG doesn't really say how it is new or different to the old one and the Fiery Dragon website doesn't seem to mention anything about a new Battlebox.

So does anyone know anything about it? And what is different to the old Battlebox?

Olaf the Stout

Yeah I'm also interested in this> I have the original Battlebox and would like to know what's on the CD and what changes have been made to the set.

Glyfair

Explorer
My brother went to our FLGS and saw this today. I was wondering what it was as well. He mentioned the included CD.

Treebore

First Post
I believe the CD just allows you to print out more of your own stuff on your own card stock. I think it has the "main set" as well as the monster and animal summoning spells sets.

As for what is updated inside, don't know. If you haven't bought this before I do recommend you buy it. The Iron Heroes one is good too.

Treebore said:
I believe the CD just allows you to print out more of your own stuff on your own card stock. I think it has the "main set" as well as the monster and animal summoning spells sets.

As for what is updated inside, don't know. If you haven't bought this before I do recommend you buy it. The Iron Heroes one is good too.

I already have the original Battle Box as well Treebore. I was just wondering whether it would be worth paying the money for the "updated & expanded" version or not. I figured the CD might be something along those line.

Can anyone else confirm what Treebore has said?

Olaf the Stout

Blastin

First Post
curious about this myself. I have been tempted a few times to pick up the first one but never did. If there is now even more cool stuff in there...I may have to bite the bullet;)

Keith Robinson

Explorer
I have the "revised and expanded" battlebox - picked it up a couple if days ago. I haven't checked out the cd yet, but otherwise here are the contents:

- a metal d20
- 15 quick combat cards (bull rush, charge, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, trip, turn undead, counterspell, fighting defensively, throw splash weapon, cover, concealment, mounted combat)
- a card fireball area affect (with two fireballs on it)
- a card fog cloud area affect and 30-ft. straight cone
- a pad of quick reference PC stat sheets
- a small 16 page booklet with rules on the Alert Factor and The Pursuit System
- 2 flagstone battlemaps
- a card 30-ft. diagonal cone and 60-ft line area affect
- a card 20-ft. circle and 30-ft. cone area affect
- 1 pursuit System Tracking Grid (on heavy duty gloss card)
- 1 5 and 10-ft circle area affect (on heavy duty gloss card)
- 1 heavy duty gloss card with spell affect counters (flaming sphere, floating disk, spirtual weapon, etc - there are 12 inb total)
- 1 15-ft diagonal and straight burning hands area affect (on heavy duty gloss card)
- 1 15-ft diagonal and straight cone area affect (on heavy duty gloss card)
- a 120-ft lightning bolt area affect, cut into four pieces (on heavy duty gloss card)
- 3 cards of space and reach examples (on heavy duty gloss card)
- plus, of course, a flashy metal tin.

Give me 5 minutes and I'll go check out the CD.

I don't own the original battle box, so I don't know how this compares. Let me know!

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Okay, here's what's on the CD:

- a whole bunch of printable counters in PDF format (constructs, dressing, spell affects, summoning)
- character sheet
- flagstone battlemap
- quick reference spell sheets (for all the core classes)
- area affect printable templates
- 88 page pdf with summon monster stats
- 57 page pdf with summon nature's ally stats
- pdf of summon monster lists
- a printable version of the quick reference PC stat sheets

The CD is 44 meg in size.

That's it!

Glyfair

Explorer
So it seems you lose from the original Battlebox:

The creature counters (horse, etc)
Standard d20

You gain:

Metal d20
1 Battlemap
Cards w/reach & space examples
CD (which regains you the creature counters, but you have to print them out)

Overall you aren't really losing anything, unless you have an aversion to metal dice (which, I admit I do, but it's not fanatical), or don't have easy access to a computer & printer. You are losing the creature counters being preprinted, but printing them out is reasonably easy.

I'm not sure I'm heavily interested since I have the original. On the other hand, I might consider buying the new one & passing my old one on as a Christmas present to one of my players.

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Red Moon Games said:
Okay, here's what's on the CD:

- a whole bunch of printable counters in PDF format (constructs, dressing, spell affects, summoning)
- character sheet
- flagstone battlemap
- quick reference spell sheets (for all the core classes)
- area affect printable templates
- 88 page pdf with summon monster stats
- 57 page pdf with summon nature's ally stats
- pdf of summon monster lists
- a printable version of the quick reference PC stat sheets

The CD is 44 meg in size.

That's it!

Even though I already have the original...

SOLD!!!!

Remove ads