• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [UPDATED] DMG - Villainous Classes Preview

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
UPDATE: I mistakenly cut off the top of the second page. Updated, below!

villain1.jpgvillains2.jpg

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
...How do they justify making the Death domain NPC material when Kelemvor is the Forgotten Realms god of death?

sunrisekid

Explorer
I like how the Oathbreaker write-up has some allowance for PCs becoming so. For example, paladin PC experiences an alignment shift for some reason and has Oathbreaker status applied to them, for which there are steps available to atone. Very cool.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Clearly these options are also meant to be used as PCs for those groups who want them. Just because they are taking the "official" approach that PCs are heroes and thus including these here in this book instead of the PHB, in no way means that you couldn't play one if your DM agrees.

Osgood

Hero
I'm disappointed by the line that NPCs gain class levels using the same rules rules as in the PH. I was hoping for some more simplified approach for DMs who don't have tons of time (especially since we clearly won't have a digital tool any time soon). I like most of 5E, but there are a lot of little things that make the DM's job harder than they need to be.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm disappointed by the line that NPCs gain class levels using the same rules rules as in the PH. I was hoping for some more simplified approach for DMs who don't have tons of time (especially since we clearly won't have a digital tool any time soon). I like most of 5E, but there are a lot of little things that make the DM's job harder than they need to be.

with 3e, I'd totally agree with you. However, I'm finding 5e to be a lot like AD&D, where it's really easy and fast to build a higher level PC

Shroomy

Adventurer

It says "can use..." which implies that this is only one option (and some people really like this approach). Note that NPCs in the officially published adventures aren't built exactly like PCs even if they have some PC-like abilities.

mcbobbo

Explorer
Clearly these options are also meant to be used as PCs for those groups who want them. Just because they are taking the "official" approach that PCs are heroes and thus including these here in this book instead of the PHB, in no way means that you couldn't play one if your DM agrees.

Kind of like the laser weapons, I imagine. "If the DM allows it, here are some rules for it."

Remove ads