• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [UPDATED] DMG - Villainous Classes Preview

Sacrosanct

Legend
I said no such thing, stop taking an opinion as a group attack.

Yes. Yes you did:

The first paragraph on the righthand side of the first page is insulting: it's talking down to readers.

Games that talk down to their audience DIE.

And I'm not talking your opinion as a group attack. I meant exactly what I said. Don't complain about people not focusing on whatever positive thing you think you might have said when you include loaded language like that.

dwayne

Adventurer
What part of you made you think that was an appropriate way to talk to somebody else on EN World? If you disagree, do so politely; that's how discussion works. This was just obnoxious. Don't be obnoxious.

I am Sorry if I came off that way, I will strive to better articulate my postings so as not to be so off putting or obnoxious.

Kaychsea

Explorer
Who says that messing with some corpse is messing with a person? It would be like if I wore your pants after you stopped wearing them, I don't take control of your legs and make you kick lamps over and stuff.
But your wife and children don't get upset watching your trousers wandering around after you have put them in a drawer for the last time. Watching your rotting corpse rip the arm off the mayor or being used as a slave on the other hand...

BigVanVader

First Post
But your wife and children don't get upset watching your trousers wandering around after you have put them in a drawer for the last time. Watching your rotting corpse rip the arm off the mayor or being used as a slave on the other hand...

Having an extreme emotional response to seeing something doesn't mean that it's evil. It only means that you either aren't used to seeing it, or that you don't want to see it.

Kaychsea

Explorer
Having an extreme emotional response to seeing something doesn't mean that it's evil. It only means that you either aren't used to seeing it, or that you don't want to see it.
But it would indicate that it's counter to the local culture and thus not acceptable. Thus "Other" and thus a working definition of "wrong" or evil. And who, in their right mind, would want to see the mayor having his arm ripped off? It's not the mid-terms!

BigVanVader

First Post
But it would indicate that it's counter to the local culture and thus not acceptable. Thus "Other" and thus a working definition of "wrong" or evil. And who, in their right mind, would want to see the mayor having his arm ripped off? It's not the mid-terms!

What's acceptable to the local culture and what's morally right or wrong have nothing at all to do with each other. And mayors work better without arms, that way they have to work harder to pat themselves on the back.

Kaychsea

Explorer
What's acceptable to the local culture and what's morally right or wrong have nothing at all to do with each other.
Really? How do you think people decide what is morally right or wrong? Clue: they don't go very far to make their minds up.
There are places where necromancy can be used to Good effect, getting dad to tell mum where the will is, a victim giving evidence at his own murder trial, but I think that you need a strange culture to accept raised members of their own family being used as labour or a rampaging undead army/border guard. At best as a punishment for executed criminals (more as a warming to the rest of them) or defeated armies. But even then it's more a "look what happens when you cross the line" warning rather than "Oh look great grandad is mowing the green again".

BigVanVader

First Post
Really? How do you think people decide what is morally right or wrong? Clue: they don't go very far to make their minds up.

Another clue: They decide for themselves, or they just decide to go along with the flow of their local culture. There's not really any difference between the two.

There are places where necromancy can be used to Good effect, getting dad to tell mum where the will is, a victim giving evidence at his own murder trial, but I think that you need a strange culture to accept raised members of their own family being used as labour or a rampaging undead army/border guard. At best as a punishment for executed criminals (more as a warming to the rest of them) or defeated armies. But even then it's more a "look what happens when you cross the line" warning rather than "Oh look great grandad is mowing the green again".

A strange culture indeed, but strange is not evil. Strange is merely different from what's considered normal.

Remove ads