• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Updated Modern

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMcS

Explorer
d20 modern was what I started playing after my college lapse (everybody says college is a great time to game, I found I really didn't have the time). It never got a new version, though, and is somewhat wonky. Wizards never even ported the 3.5 changes into it.

At least two pathfinder modern projects died a swift death from insufficient interest, I guess.

What games carry the d20 modern torch? Is it Spycraft or nothing? I keep being tempted to take Pathfinder, 3.5, Spycraft, and Mutants and Masterminds and kitbash my ultimate game for modern/sci-fi action gaming. But, man, that would be a lot of work.

Insight

Adventurer
If you're looking for a cinematic modern game, I would say take Spycraft and file off the "espionage" serial numbers. With a few tweaks, it should have everything you want for modern.

I think a modern game needs to be point buy, though, so I can see the attraction to Mutants & Masterminds.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Modern20 is what I'd use for my Houserule d20 Modern system, if I was still pining for d20 Modern.
It does a lot of neat things, fixes most of my d20 Modern issues, and has a fantastic set of optional rules to scale the game to whatever level of cinematic insanity you desire. Then there are the various genre and setting books, which add even more options, appropriate sub-systems (magic, super powers, etc), and equipment. I really like it, and its existence ended my own efforts to write a new d20 Modern system, since this did 95% of the heavy lifting.

Ultimately, I find d20 to be a terrible fit for my modern gaming style, but that's a personal problem. Modern20 is probably the best d20 SRD system for modern gaming that I've found. Worth taking a look.

Vigilance

Explorer
Hey Dan, Chuck here, author of Supers20.

I think the sample characters in the thread you link to, plus the review should answer most of your questions.

However, if you have anything to ask, I'd be happy to answer.

I haven't seen much about supers20, but google found this.

There's also a review on drivethru.

I think I'm going to have to check this out.

pawsplay

Hero
True20 is a very solid choice for many modern campaigns. Spycraft would be my go-to for high-action games; it has a third edition coming out sometime.

zerzix

First Post
I have been using modern20/Supers20 for awhile now and still find it the best system for playing any flavor of style....from an adaptation of James Bond, Star Wars PCs, transformers, vampires, zombies, to mad max and super heroes - my players have tested it all. The system really holds up and is fast paced and easy to transition to from dnd/pathfinder styles.

My current world is a mix-up of the players being apart of a CIA super human faction set up to control the super hero/alien population. So they basically get to go around and fight super heros and villians from DC/Marvel universe in a James Bond type feel. lol

DanMcS

Explorer
So what would you say are the gameplay changes that jump out at you between modern20 and d20 modern? Assuming you've played both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads